Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Abused and neglected guinea pigs are going to the shelter tomorrow!! I am so happy!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I was actually going to post on here tonight asking for advice on what to do about my boyfriend's parents severely neglected guinea pigs. His parents have never been great about caring for animals (remembering to feed, water, and clean the cages of their animals has never been a concern), but in the last 5 years they have greatly improved (certainly not to my standards, but significantly better compared to the past). They no longer keep any dogs outside (rehomed the ones that were too "unruly" for indoors), have no fish in bowls anymore (just a betta in a 5 gallon tank) and actually have food and water down for their dogs and newly adopted cat at all times.

They got 2 guinea pigs awhile ago for their younger daughter, and they are kept in a small pet store cage in the basement (unlike most basements, their house is super hot all the time, so they are more likely to get heat stroke then be cold). They never get taken out of the cage, the cage is rarely cleaned (only once the shavings are all entirely saturated and the basement smells, does it get cleaned), they never give them vegetables regularly (I bought them carrots as a Christmas present, so they would get something. They did give them baby carrots daily until they ran out), and they have not had any hay since beginning of December. We visit his family once a week usually, and everytime I would make an excuse to go downstairs and check on them. EVERY SINGLE TIME for the last 1-2 months, their water was almost out or completely out. I started making a habit of bring a bottle of water with me to refill their water bottle when I was there, and made elaborate excuses to go downstairs. (The first time I discovered they had no water, they made the most horrific dry cough wheeking sound and fought each other for the water :( I couldn't stop crying when I got home.)

Trying to give them any advice on how to care for animals would only result in angering them and ruining our relationship with them for several weeks (we know from experience, and didn't want to risk not being able to check on them), so it has been really hard (to the point where I have not been able to sleep and have nightmares) knowing these poor pigs were suffering and not being able to do anything except sneak them water and refill hay (when they had it).

My boyfriend talked to his brother yesterday about the piggies, and his brother said that he should just suggest us bringing them to the humane society where my boyfriend works and I used to volunteer, since he didn't think they wanted them anymore (since over the last month is when they stopped caring for them really)

We really thought that it would go bad and result in a huge blow out, but they actually said okay and suggested that we even take in a toad that they have that they no longer want!!!!! We both were in complete shock! (I wish we asked sooner, but I think this timing was perfect as his mom is starting a business now and they have a lot going on, I think before they would have said no as their daughter was still interested in them)

Just one more night, and they will be in a good place where they will get vet care (one pig has dried on shavings and feces stuck to his foot), food, clean bedding, hay, and fresh water at all times.

I wish we could take them, but my boyfriend does not want guinea pigs ever again due to their large cage and care requirements (I had 2x4 C&C with fleece when we fostered piggies).

I'll post pictures of them later once they are in the shelter!

I hope this type of post is okay, I am just so happy and over the moon and needed to share with people who would understand.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Oh, and they never even named the guinea pigs the whole time they had them :'(

KyKyMarie77

Cavy Slave
Dang that is so sad:( I’m so happy you were able to save them and make their lives better though!!

LaVitaEBella

Cavy Slave
Reading this thread makes me feel happy knowing that these babies will have comfort in their new shelter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.