Thread: Newly paired males still rumblestrutting and chattering - is this normal?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Newly paired males still rumblestrutting and chattering - is this normal?

I've had my two boars for 3 months and 2 months respectively. We did introductions over the weekend and it all seemed to go pretty normal from what I've read online. Lots of humping, rumblestrutting, teeth chattering, etc. and then eventually they both calmed down, snacked on some hay and veggies together, and started laying next to each other. Then I put them into their enclosure together (two midwest 2x4 cages attached in an L shape, freshly cleaned and rearranged). They've been in the cage together just over a full day and they're both eating and running around, but I've also noticed that the more dominant one is also still regularly rumblestrutting and occasionally mounting/annoying the submissive pig enough that they'll start chattering teeth at each other. There hasn't been any major brawls (not even during initial introductions) but I'm just wondering if this kind of behavior is pretty normal? Or if it seems like they're not going to be a successful pair? I'm not sure how long this dominance stuff supposed to last or if it should have been done already. ANY advice appreciated! I don't want to come home from work one day to a blood bath between my sweet boys.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3811 Post(s)

Re: Newly paired males still rumblestrutting and chattering - is this normal?

You've got two males in puberty, which can last a year. But the dominance behaviors will continue. Everything you describe is normal.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Newly paired males still rumblestrutting and chattering - is this normal?

Thank you for the response! Glad to hear everything sounds normal. These are my first pigs so I'm still learning a lot about their behaviors.

User Tag List