Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay stored in boxes

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A family owned pet supply store is going out of business. Nice price cuts. Already have 10 to 15 lbs of SPS hay for my 1 gp but couldn't resist paying $20 for a 10 lb box of SPS Orchard grass hay. Bought 2 boxes.

They are taped closed. It's going to be awhile before I need these with 1 gp. How long does hay remain good? It's in my living room so no moisture or extreme temps. Should I open the boxes to expose the hay to the air at least the top layer or in a taped boc is fine? TIA

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I always open my boxes of hay so they can get some air. I also have a large rubbermaid container without a lid that I keep my extra hay in. I think hay needs to breathe so I wouldn't keep it completely closed up. I remember seeing one of the moderators posting that hay will stay fresh up to a year if it is kept in the right conditions.

Oddly enough I have a small box of kms bluegrass hay left from a couple years ago. Still looks ok though more browns. Fed her some green strands and she ate it ok. I think if it's green it's fine. You give hay for fiber, not nutrients, so I think the 1 year isn't always true if you're stored it properly and it not discolored or something that would say don't give.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay will maintain 95% of its nutritional value for up to two years. But it does need air circulation, so any container it's stored it should have holes in the sides to facilitate that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.