Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Is Rosewood Naturals Nature's Salad safe/ok?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
IMG_20200109_172052657_BURST000_COVER.jpg

We've heard about this a lot, and thought our piggies might really enjoy it. Are all the ingredients safe/ok? I won't give it to them until I know for sure. My first thought was yikes at the marigold; as most are poisonous (?) , but there is a marigold called a signet marigold that is often used in salads for people. But it doesn't say signet marigold on the box :confused:

No matter what it would only be a special treat for them in small amounts, since I know the parsley and alfalfa is high in calcium for adult piggies. Also wasn't sure about the "puffed" ingredients, and what the "edible leaves" actually are...

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Here's what it looks like:IMG_20200109_172031349.jpg

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Here's what it looks like:View attachment 86610

I've seen this and wondered myself... I wasn't sure about the "puffed" stuff. As for the marigolds, I know Kaytee makes a Timothy Hay Plus that has marigolds in it and their new Food from the Wild mix (the guinea pig one anyway) has marigolds in it too, so I'm thinking it'd be the edible variety of marigolds. Hopefully, anyway.
[MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION], I think it depends on the piggy when it comes to pea flakes. I saw Little Adventures feeding them to her piggies and thought I'd give them a try. Found some and gave them to Tannim... he LOVES them. He gets mad at me if I don't give him some for his bedtime treat. So I'd say they just aren't to your girls' tastes.

But yes... anybody know for sure on the Rosewood Naturals Nature's Salad? And on the Kaytee Food from the Wild while we're at it? I was looking at that as a possible treat source, but I wasn't sure.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm not familiar with this product so I was waiting to see if you received any responses to your post. I just wanted to say that I purchased a bag of pea flakes and they were a complete failure. When I first put just one or two in their cages they ran away like it was poison. So I just moved them over to a corner and was hoping that they would eat them during the night. The next morning they were still there and hadn't even been chewed on. I've tried them again at various times and they just won't touch them.

I've watched some guinea pig youtubers whose pigs just love them. Apparently they are just a disgusting treat to my girls. I finally gave the bag to a friend for her rabbit and she said her bunny just loved them. Maybe they are tastier to bunnies than they are to piggies.

That's how mine are with tomatoes! I tried a few times...not only would they not eat them, they literally spit them out ( I left them in there a few hours ) and gave them a wide berth everytime they walked by lol It's the only thing they've ever found *that* disgusting, though sometimes strawberries and kiwi can be on the disgusting list... piggie disdain can be so funny!

Anyway, even if they didn't like the flakes I think they'd really like the herb/grass/flower portion of it, which looks like the majority. I really hope I can find out everything's ok and try it!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I've seen this and wondered myself... I wasn't sure about the "puffed" stuff. As for the marigolds, I know Kaytee makes a Timothy Hay Plus that has marigolds in it and their new Food from the Wild mix (the guinea pig one anyway) has marigolds in it too, so I'm thinking it'd be the edible variety of marigolds. Hopefully, anyway.
[MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION], I think it depends on the piggy when it comes to pea flakes. I saw Little Adventures feeding them to her piggies and thought I'd give them a try. Found some and gave them to Tannim... he LOVES them. He gets mad at me if I don't give him some for his bedtime treat. So I'd say they just aren't to your girls' tastes.

But yes... anybody know for sure on the Rosewood Naturals Nature's Salad? And on the Kaytee Food from the Wild while we're at it? I was looking at that as a possible treat source, but I wasn't sure.

The "puffed" stuff is really my biggest concern, too. It's similar looking to popcorn and seems like it could be a choking hazard. That's nice to know there's other products with marigold, though!! I would think that's a good sign it's the edible variety... hopefully, anyway, indeed!

Piggies tastes definitely vary so much--- Robin Hood has a huge sweet tooth compared to Friar Tuck, for example! He loves banana, and usually loves kiwi and strawberry, too; while Friar Tuck won't touch any of them. And they both greatly protest if they don't get a bedtime treat just like Tannim! :)

I'd really love to find out for sure about the Nature Salad if anyone knows more or knows for sure. And if it's possible, I'd pick out what's bad ( like the puffed pieces, for example )

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I'm not familiar with this product so I was waiting to see if you received any responses to your post. I just wanted to say that I purchased a bag of pea flakes and they were a complete failure. When I first put just one or two in their cages they ran away like it was poison. So I just moved them over to a corner and was hoping that they would eat them during the night. The next morning they were still there and hadn't even been chewed on. I've tried them again at various times and they just won't touch them.

I've watched some guinea pig youtubers whose pigs just love them. Apparently they are just a disgusting treat to my girls. I finally gave the bag to a friend for her rabbit and she said her bunny just loved them. Maybe they are tastier to bunnies than they are to piggies.

My piggy loves pea flakes. He only eats it if he is handed directly tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I am not familiar with the Rosewood products but have looked at them numerous times online.

However, I have bought forage, herbs, and floral mixtures from Exotic Nutrition and my piggies absolutely refuse to eat them. I also loved watching Little Adventures piggies eating pea flakes so I bought some from Exotic Nutrition. Their pea flakes are misleading as most are really small pieces or just crumbs. While my girls will eat them as a last resort, it has been a huge disappointment and an expensive waste of money.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you, everyone! Does anyone else know more? Maybe [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]? You've always helped me a lot before with diet questions :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about that brand of stuff. I always preferred fresh herbs in small amounts as treats rather than anything dried.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I just checked Rosewood's website, and they're based in the UK. Maybe some of our friends over there are familiar with the company?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about that brand of stuff. I always preferred fresh herbs in small amounts as treats rather than anything dried.

Ok, thank you! If I try it I think I'll pick out all the harder iffy stuff and just do a little pinch of the herbs/grass/flowers.

CavvySavvyMama

Cavy Gazer
Oh goodness we went and bought so many “for guinea pigs” treats when we first got our lovely ladies; immediately threw away the yogurt drops because what in the heck even are those? Who cleared that for marketing? Not anyone who cares about piggies health; anyway this salad was an instant hit with our girls, it’s one of the few treats that aren’t fresh veg we feel comfortable giving them and with the range of products that particular company has out it seems they do genuinely care about your pets health and well being. That being said; if in doubt throw it out but our piggies love it ��

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Update:

Ok, so I picked all the bad and iffy stuff out of it...and there's definitely some bad things in it. The "puffed" pieces are just a fancy word for popcorn, and look like a choking hazard and indigestible for a piggy. There's also oatmeal and seed type pieces. I picked all of those out; they look like this:
IMG_20200114_113128396.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The rest of it seems good--- and smells so nice. It's fairly soft and fresh, lots of grassy hay strands, nettle heads, rose petals, and herb leaves.
IMG_20200114_113132530.jpg
However, both my piggies have refused to touch it... Robin Hood snuffled it a bit, then walked away. Friar Tuck took one sniff, pulled back, and went in his hidey. lol So the final verdict is basically a fail for us!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.