Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What should I use for cleaning fleece bedding?

nothanksfishy

Cavy Gazer
I have been doing obsessive research for the past three days on everything guinea pig and the one thing I seem to be really stumped on is how to clean the bedding. I know how to get the excess hair and hay off fleece but the detergent is a real stumper. I know using free and clear ones work best but we already have a detergent but its scented so its a no-no. I was wondering if I could only use vinegar? I hear its good for disinfecting. But if not maybe just bleach and vinegar? But I hear bleach can be hard to use and not good for the environment.

If not to both/if it is easier whats a good cheap detergent to use?
I just want to be prepared as much as possible before getting some Guinea Pigs :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vinegar will not clean the blankets, nor will bleach. You need a detergent. I always used unscented Tide.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have used Arm & Hammer and Aldi’s Tandil detergents with no problems. They are both the regular scented detergents and I use half the recommended amount. We have soft water so a little goes a long way. I set the washer for the largest
load and an extra rinse. I have not noticed detergent residue or fragrance after washing, and the fleece and liners get clean.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
My biggest concern is how to keep mine from chewing on the fleece.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have never had cavies who chew on the fleece. There are too many other more interesting things to sample. :rolleyes:

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! This is a little off-topic to this particular thread, but still applies to fleece. I love the method of using 2 layers of fleece and Uhaul pad in the middle. I’ve used liners with this before but, it is time to replace. I like to sew my own, but I’m very slow at it. I need to get some fleece in there soon, (paper bedding is a pain). So do y’all think a layering method would do the job just fine? It would be the same concept, just not sewn together. Also, when I wash it, I would just take all three layers (2 fleece and 1 uhaul) and throw it in wash. What do you guys think?

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
also, is it alright if i wick the fleece BEFORE i cut it? i know hot water can make it shrink so i want to make sure that it’s all done wicking first. do u think that is okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=43893]marisa.19[/MENTION], you don't wick fleece. Wicking is the pulling of liquid through the fleece to the absorbent layer underneath. (broken link removed)

What you have to do is prepare the fleece to make it wick. Fleece often has a layer that needs to be stripped off of it with hot water, detergent, bleach, vinegar, whatever before it will wick.

But you do need to wash the fleece and the liner several times in hot water, because either or both may shrink, and if you're trying to make it fit a particular spot, it may not be large enough once it's been through the laundry several times.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Layering without sewing should work fine. I use washable incontinence pads topped with a layer of fleece in my cage. I think the layers wash and dry better when they aren’t sewn together.

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Layering without sewing should work fine. I use washable incontinence pads topped with a layer of fleece in my cage. I think the layers wash and dry better when they aren’t sewn together.

I'm doing sort of the same thing myself right now (crib liners), and I have a question. Do you have any trouble with the absorbent layer slipping under the fleece, or does it stay put okay? I taped mine down because I was worried about them slipping, but if I don't need to, that would be good.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I don’t have any problem with the fleece and absorbent layers slipping. My setup is a little different since I have the cage sitting inside a frame-like base. The base is plywood with 2x2s around the edges. I put the fabric down and it overlaps the base, then set the cage on top inside the edges. Some guinea pigs like to burrow and this would work well to keep everything covered.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.