Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Possible neurological problem

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had ear infection a few months ago... she just fought off pneumonia and now today she seemed to be limping on back leg... I took her to the vet today and vet believes it is caused from otitis media. Vet said breathing has improved. Guinea pig lays on her side and all her feet pulsate... any thoughts? She is currently on Azithromycin for the pneumonia and some metacam for pain/ anti inflammatory for her foot in case she’s in pain. This poor piggy can’t catch a break.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Wow! Your poor piggy has been through a lot! I’m sorry to hear that. I can’t see from your post, maybe I’m missing it, what is the neurological issue that you are concerned about? The feet pulsating?

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Yes, she has facial nerve paralysis which causes her eye to not be able to close on that side and now vet says that her hind leg is affected also from the inner ear infection she had( apparently never recovered completely) but she lays on her side and her legs pulsate just strange. Now she won’t eat, almost like it’s beginning to affect her mouth.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, she has facial nerve paralysis which causes her eye to not be able to close on that side and now vet says that her hind leg is affected also from the inner ear infection she had( apparently never recovered completely) but she lays on her side and her legs pulsate just strange. Now she won’t eat, almost like it’s beginning to affect her mouth.

Did she have a stroke? Maybe an unknown one? That could be behind the cascade of these neurological issues. Not saying it definitely was, just something to keep in mind and discuss with your vet (if you haven’t already.) Is your vet recommending any ongoing treatment, or are they treating the individual symptoms as they appear?

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
She seems back to normal today. She is no longer laying on her side. She’s eating and drinking normally. From the inner ear infection she had gotten facial nerve paralysis and her eye won’t close and now has an ulcer. She is on Azithromycin for her pneumonia and metacam for inflammation and pain. She may have just been exhausted yesterday from going to vet and having me trying to get her to eat etc. today so far she seems like she’s back to normal. I’ll post an update.

petluv

Cavy Slave
She seems back to normal today. She is no longer laying on her side. She’s eating and drinking normally. From the inner ear infection she had gotten facial nerve paralysis and her eye won’t close and now has an ulcer. She is on Azithromycin for her pneumonia and metacam for inflammation and pain. She may have just been exhausted yesterday from going to vet and having me trying to get her to eat etc. today so far she seems like she’s back to normal. I’ll post an update.
I had no idea ear infections could cause paralysis! Scary and good to know! I’m glad she’s looking better today, seems like the medicine may be helping some. I know with humans antibiotics can take some time to help in certain infections. Sometimes the patient even worsens before they start getting better. Maybe piggies are like that too. I hope things are finally on the upswing for your sweetie. Please keep us posted!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.