Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Underweight Guinea Pig

I own a 3-year-old male guinea pig named Taz and I recently noticed that he seemed to have lost a significant amount of weight and become much thinner without a change in his diet. He was a normal weight two months ago, but now he only weighs 870 grams. His location temporarily changed a week ago, but he was transferred to a home he had been in before and had no change in behavior during his stay. He rooms with another guinea pig named Buffalo, but they have been together since birth and never had an issue with one another aside from normal territorial rumbling. Taz seems healthy aside from his weight, though he eats his food rather quickly and targets Buffalo’s food bowl when he is done (Buffalo was underweight and Taz was overweight when I adopted them, so I feed them separately). He drinks a full bottle of water each day/night and eats plenty of hay, so I do not know why he has lost so much weight. My mother found him laying on his back this morning, but he rolled over and behaved normally when she approached him. That is the only time we have found him sleeping that way. He has been scratching more than usual, but I checked him for fleas and he seems to be clean. The only other issue we have had with him is that a year ago he underwent surgery due to a growth on his leg, but he fully recovered from that and maintained a normal weight afterwards. I apologize for giving you so much information; I am simply worried that his other behaviors may be symptoms of an illness that I do not know about.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Underweight Guinea Pig

Nothing jumps out as to what the problem is. It may be time for a trip back to the vet.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Underweight Guinea Pig

Both of my guinea pigs have a vet appointment at 3:30 p.m. today

User Tag List