Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions IS there really a best sex or age for a new cage mate?

ecowoman

Cavy Slave
I recently lost my guinea pig and his cage mate needs a new friend. He is just under two and pretty laid back. I learned of a 1.5 yr old male in the area that has never been with other males. He has done well with females only. Other than a slow introduction and clean cage, are there any other tips for introduction??

How often do these things turn sour?

Thank you!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had virtually the exact same scenario you are facing a few weeks ago. Introducing a 1.5 year old male who had never known another pig to a 3 year old boar who had never been alone until recently.

My story has a storybook ending. Yours may not. There is simply no telling how it will turn out until you try. As long as you follow the guidelines here https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html to give them the best chance possible, the only other thing you can do is hope.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I have done about 14 bonding sessions involving two adult boars, using the same introduction method in the link guinea pig papa posted. Of those only 2 turned out poorly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.