Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Destructive Piggies - HELP!

Hi I have two boys that are a little over a year now. They have gone through numerous water bottles but their cage has remained full of water! I have discovered that my little mischievous Bear has been dumping the water out and taught his brother how to do so! They donít drink the water they just let it run out, which destroys their cage! I donít know what to do! They have toys in their cage but they never play with them and whenever they come out for floor time they bite at their cage to be let back in! I donít know how to keep them entertained

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Re: Destructive Piggies - HELP!

How big is their cage? How do they dump/spill the water bottles? Are you sure they aren't leaking? What kinds of toys do they have? Hopefully we can help, but some piggies are just mischievous and destructive!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    How big is their cage? How do they dump/spill the water bottles? Are you sure they aren't leaking? What kinds of toys do they have? Hopefully we can help, but some piggies are just mischievous and destructive!
    Their cage is 10 square feet. They will go to drink out of the water bottle but wonít actually drink the water. Iíve watched the water bottle and am 99.9% sure itís not leaking. They have a little ball they can push around and a hay hidey. Iím not sure what other toys to get them, as most toys I give them they donít play with...

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Hmmm...I'm pretty much stumped, sorry! They do drink from the water bottles normally other times, though, right? I don't have any personal experience with it, but just want to make sure it isn't a tooth or other health issue. You could put bricks under the bottles to help catch/soak up some of the water.
    Some piggies play with toys, but others never do; so it just depends on the individual You could try more edible toys like Oxbow Timothy twists or tea/willow/apple stick chews, but there's no guarantee with them, either. Hopefully someone else will come along who can help you more than me!

Thanks
    Thanks
    54 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

It sounds like they need something to do. They are probably grabbing the water bottle and pulling it around causing it to drip.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-funkitty-egg-cersizer-cat-toy/dp/48665

Above is a link to a treat toy my guinea pig loves. I put her pellets in it and she rolls it around so the pellets fall out of the adjustable openings. Keep an eye on them at first to see that they don’t chew the plastic up. It’s hard plastic but yours sound like they chew more than mine.

Hide veggies in crumpled pieces of plain white paper.

if you have an apple tree, the small branches are a great chew toy. I clip a few branches, take the leaves off and clean them with water and a vegetable brush. Our tree is never sprayed or fertilized so I know it’s safe.

6. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List