Thread: Anyone Adopt of Buy Guinea Pigs from PetCo or PetSmart?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone Adopt of Buy Guinea Pigs from PetCo or PetSmart?

Hopefully I posted this in the right topic....I found some guinea pigs in both places that I was thinking of adopting or buying. The ones for adoption at Petco are bonded sisters that are about a year old. Would that be a good idea? They were originally bought at Petco a year ago but whoever bought them returned them a few weeks ago. I was able to see one of the sisters tonight but the animals that are up for adoption at that particular location are kept in the back rooms unless people ask to see them.

I also saw a 3-4 month old sow for sale...she was the same color as one of the sisters that are up for adoption. She has been in the store for one month now.

Not sure what to do yet?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3812 Post(s)

Re: Anyone Adopt of Buy Guinea Pigs from PetCo or PetSmart?

I would definitely NOT buy from PetCo or Petsmart. Guinea pigs for the pet store trade are bred and raised and shipped in horrible conditions, and the sows are kept continually pregnant until they're too old to breed, then killed. The pups are inbred, and often have illnesses or parasites. Pet stores are notoriously bad at sexing them, and we've had many a pregnant "male" on this forum.

If they'd GIVE me the two for adoption, I'd take them. But I wouldn't pay any money for them.

But you also might be able to find pigs at a rescue. Petfinder is a good resource.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

If they are piggies that have been surrendered, and Petco then puts them up for adoption to rehome them, then it is helping the piggies. They will otherwise remain indefinitely at various pet stores until adopted or they die. Those piggies will always have a think adoption first sign and adoption forms attached to their cage. They will also be in a cage and location other than where their piggies for sale are.

Buying piggies outright from their “stock” for sale, while it may seem you are saving a piggy from those bad conditions, and in a way that one piggy does get saved, but you are paying money to aid the store to treat new “stock” inhumanely. So your bought piggy may luck out, so to speak, but his brothers and sisters and future relatives likely will not. A great portion of their “stock” dies. Those who are “lucky” to be bought, will likely be surrendered or mistreated.
    Last edited by petluv; 01-05-20 at 10:21 am.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally would just stay away. Not to say I wouldn't be tempted. But from experience, my first piggie after a 10 year piggie hiatus was bought from Petsmart on an impulse buy and he ended up having URI issues and took several weeks to get him healthy - he potentially has heart issues but that's another story. Also had some ringworm, fungus like thing going on. I did not do the medical care from Petsmart because I felt much more comfortable taking him to my own vet, probably ended up paying around $100-$120 for two visits. Not terrible but not awesome either. The other two I have adopted from a rescue and they have both been so much more healthy!! Was much cheaper in the long run. Just my two cents.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

My son's gp Ralphy was an "adopt" from PetCo -- he was surrendered by his previous owner because of allergies. Sure, he was probably a purchase from PetCo in the first place since he was surrendered there, but he was healthy and needed a good home. And PetCo does seem to promote adoption over purchase when they have surrendered piggies available. PetSmart... not so much, although my local one does partner with the local shelters for adoption events from time to time.

Yeah, buying a piggy from the pet store seems like a wonderful save for the piggy, but the risks often aren't worth it (IMO). Adopting the sisters is a possibility, assuming they were well cared for at their previous home. Or check out your local shelters -- around here the adoption fees are about the same if not a little less than purchasing from the pet store. (Could be different where you are.) And at a shelter, the piggy has hopefully been checked out by a vet, so you've got better assurance that he/she is healthy.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I got 3 of my Guinea Pigs from Petco before I knew how much they abused and bred animals like crazy. They came really sick and had to be taken to the vet for treatment. They have a good home now with me now But, I would definitely recommend adopting them if they are up for adoption but don't buy any of them, as that would be supporting Petco to continue to torture animals. Hope everything goes well!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Our two came from PetSmart. Had them before we found this forum. Both where well cared for and in good health and adapted to us quickly. Checkers was about a year old and Ginger was only a few months old, both sows. Ginger at the time was significantly smaller than Checkers. The person who helped us was knowledgeable and did suggest a CC cage of which I had never heard of at that point. She did tell us more space was desirable and most of th cages they had where too small. From experience I knew bigger was better so we bought a dwarf rabbit cage with pen. Later turned it into a frankencage since they bonded to the enclosure in that cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

I recently adopted a piggie, Felicia, from the local humane society. She was a surrender as her previous owner moved into an apartment that does not allow animals. Felicia started life at Petsmart and while the humane society did not put Felicia's companion up for adoption due to health issues, Felicia was checked by the vet and given the green light to be put for adoption. My local Petco sells piggies for $42.99 but the shelter's adoption fee was only $15.

User Tag List