Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Protection options - new kittens!

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

We have 3 guinea pigs in a covered C&C cage on a raised table in our living room - there is no "extra space" on the table as the cage fits the table perfectly.

Well, we recently adopted 2 kittens (in addition to the 2 cats we already own). The resident cats are fine with the guinea pigs and don't really pay them much attention. But one of the new kitties keeps repeatedly jumping up on top of the cage just to see the guinea pigs. Not sure what she think she's going to do from up there, but we shoo her off before anything happens. However, we aren't going to be in "helicopter" mode with the kitties forever, and would like to eventually be able to trust them in the same room without us being there (for now, they are supervised all the time, and they go in their "safe room" when we leave the house).

So my question is about protection: what sorts of strategies or cage protection(s) can I use to keep the kitty(ies) from jumping up there (or doing anything once she's up). I wouldn't mind purchasing something (like maybe some clear windows or something from the cages store), but I don't want to cut off any airflow to the pigs or mess with their setup too much.

thoughts??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just put something over the top of the cage so the kitten can't put her paws through and swipe the pigs. She'll lose interest as she ages. I had a kitten that was very curious about the pigs, but eventually was so chill with them I could leave the cage top off and he'd hop in and take a nap with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.