Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: Shes here!

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    My Robin Hood is the same! He's forever flipping hideys or sleeping on top of them
    If you do attach the shelf, it isn't higher than a typical hidey/pigloo roof, right? Guinea pigs don't have depth perception, so if anything is too high without sides they can fall off and get hurt.
    Maybe you should try getting her some more stuff to chew on! It solved my Friar Tuck's plastic chewing issue, and both piggies love their different toys.
    The shelf is the height of the hidey. Im hesitant to even try as Ive heard the rare but scary incidents of piggies getting feet caught in them.😳. So likely just letting it be.

Abby still hates to be picked up and shakes constantly while I hold her. I also still have to trap her in her pigloo to steal pets. Ive learned from some good YouTube guinea pig channels that some will stay this way forever. I dont want to scare her to death all the time so I try to respect her wishes. I think she really needs a second piggy, but vet bills for one can be expensive enough. So if she stays like this several more months, I have to think of her needs and possibly rehouse her where she can have a friend.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

She has let both my husband and I touch her outside her hidey! I think she was more still from fright, but Ill take it as progress. I so wish I could get her a friend, but definitely no still. I understand his point of view as well, guinea pigs are not low cost pets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

It’s been a month and her little nails need a slight trim. So....how do you clip nails when they are so terrified of you? I mean I know you wrap them snugly in a towel for restraint, but I’m afraid by scaring her so, I’ll loose all bonding progress with her. I don’t want that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Everyone was just talking about first time nail trims in this thread here; I think it'll really help you! https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ight=Nail+trim

In my post on the thread in that link, I have another link to one of my own threads, about trimming my Friar Tuck's nails. I'll admit I was a nervous wreck, , because Friar Tuck is very shy, just like princess Abby, especially the first months I had him. Everyone helped me so much there!

He was pretty scared, and I thought he'd hate me for a week after the trim... but in a few hours he was already taking veggies from my hand again, and by the next day it's like it never even happened

We use normal human nail clippers. One person holds the piggy normally against their chest, while the second person reaches from underneath and trims the nails. We try to give them a treat during it, too. In the link above, and especially the link to my own thread there, there's lots of different methods of holding scared piggies, all of which work really well for different people. So do whatever sounds best to you! For the actual "how to cut the nail" part, bpatters' guinealynx link in that thread is fantastic. Lots of pictures and step by step instructions

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I have a slight problem...Princess Abby (who once wouldn’t touch veggies) is now a veggie monster (except bell peppers little stinker.)

I was pretty lax with veggies to treat her as she got used to me, but now every single time I come in the room or in the kitchen she wants veggies and wheeks incessantly at her cage door for a treat. (This is actually huge progress in her taming!). I no longer give her salads, I’ve just been giving her just tiny pieces of leaf lettuce so she feels rewarded for coming up to me (she’s still in taming) but this is quickly becoming an issue (that I’m to shy to come get my treat gig is over) that she is now this week started eating less hay which is very bad I know. That’s why I know it must stop immediately. My concern is, how can I continue to reward her for progress in taming without overfeeding veggies. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by petluv; 02-05-20 at 02:12 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

When hand taming my piggies, I always hand fed them a veggie breakfast and dinner, and sometimes a lunch, too. As long as you don't give her more than 1 cup of veggies a day (that's made of both veggies and greens ) , she won't get too much and will still eat her hay. 1 cup is the magic number that gives them not too many and not too little You can measure it out and then take your treat rewards from that throughout the day. ( But fair warning--- if you give her a treat every time you come in the room, her majesty will turn into an absolute slave driver; always wheeking orders! That's why I do/did twice or three times a day )

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    When hand taming my piggies, I always hand fed them a veggie breakfast and dinner, and sometimes a lunch, too. As long as you don't give her more than 1 cup of veggies a day (that's made of both veggies and greens ) , she won't get too much and will still eat her hay. 1 cup is the magic number that gives them not too many and not too little You can measure it out and then take your treat rewards from that throughout the day. ( But fair warning--- if you give her a treat every time you come in the room, her majesty will turn into an absolute slave driver; always wheeking orders! That's why I do/did twice or three times a day )
    Yes she has me right where she wants me!

I HAVE to get her first thing in the am for certain as I get up between 4-5am or she wakes up my totally overworked husband (and who knows how many neighbors in our apartment!) After that I will do as you say and pre-make her 1 cup so I don’t go over. Thanks for that suggestion!

So today she scratched me (accidently) with her yet to be cut nails (I know I’m terrible I didn’t want to scare her, and have to cut them solo) and boy were they ready and sharp. So I bit the bullet and clipped the tiniest bit from each nail as her quicks are still rather long. My much less skittish boar I had was easy peasy, but I had a feeling she’d give me a run for my money, and she did! I did the roll up in the towel but she kept escaping no matter how much folded her in there. Boy is she strong for such a little thing! But we got it done, at least what little was extending beyond the quick (they still seem kind of long but can’t cut the quick so they have to be.) She’s chattering like a wet hen at me, but of course I was still useful enough to be a baby carrot transporter.

For those of you who clip multiple piggies solo, you have my DEEPEST respects!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

To my faithful helpers in all things GP: I want to spoil my princess and get her a bed of some sort. I think she would like it to have a top and not just a basic cuddle cup. There are many out there I just want to know what has worked for you and lasted through many washings and all. Also, my main concern is her chewing it up, I definitely have a chewer. So it would have to be durable. She might still chew through it but I want her to have the best chance of getting to keep it!

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

For a bed, I use a Cuddle Cup in a corner of the cage and use binder clips and a square of fleece to make an awning clipped to the cage. The two are separate, but when she's in the Cuddle Cup she has a roof over her head.

Regarding giving her treats and making sure she still eats her hay, try giving her a pinch of hay that's different from her standard food. So if she usually gets timothy hay, get a small bag of orchard grass or meadow grass and add just a little to her hay pile. That way she gets some attention and some special food and still eats her hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

I have several of the Magic Muffs that I purchased from the GP Market. The link is at the top of this page. Mine love to crawl into them to sleep during the day. They feel secure and safe since you can't see them. They love to stretch out their little bodies and just sleep the afternoon away. I have so many cuddle cups and tunnels that it's just ridiculous. Some of my pigs liked the cuddle cups and some didn't. The Magic Muffs seemed to be a popular item with them. I've had a couple for a number of years and they get laundered on a regular basis and have held up extremely well.

I've also spent money on items that my pigs just hated. You just have to take your chances and hope that your purchases are accepted by your pigs. If you can sew you are extremely lucky and can make so many nice items. Unfortunately I can't sew a decent stitch. I've found a few Etsy sellers who create beautiful items. I've learned over the years to stay away from the sellers who offer their items at a very low price. They are usually not constructed well and they don't last.

I don't mind spending a little more to get a good quality item. The GP Market here offers many nice items and they seem to be very well made.

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Muffs and tunnels are on my to-do list. I love sewing and have plenty of fabric and batting. My pig is just kind of lukewarm about the Cuddle Cup so I’m not going to bother with another one. She still likes the Dollar Tree stacking bins and the plastic baskets with the woven pattern the best for hiding. The baskets are easy to cut so I make two openings in them. The bins can just be flipped over as they are.

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

@ItsaZoo, aren't guinea pigs just the funniest little creatures. You can spend so much on buying them fancy cuddle cups and other expensive items and they often prefer the least expensive things. Last year I bought a GuineaDad liner with the pocket. The liner was a fail but included in the package was a little cardboard box that you could cut holes in. I put it in my pig's cage and they had the most fun playing in it. They just ran in and out of it for days. Eventually I had to toss it due to them destroying it but it was sure fun while it lasted.

I am so envious of you being able to sew things for your pigs. I tried to learn when I was just a kid but honestly I didn't enjoy it. I'm sure you are very good at sewing and that makes it fun for you. I was just pathetic at almost any kind of crafts.
    Do you have an Etsy Shop where you sell your items?

Thanks
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Ever hear of “Champagne taste on a beer budget?” My guinea pig is just the opposite. I bought a Timothy tunnel for about $10, she preferred the overturned stacking bins from the Dollar Tree. I bought a hand-woven Timothy carrot toy, she ignored it but likes chewing on apple tree branches from the back yard. I bought baked Timothy treats, her favorite treat is corn husk that I get for free from the grocery store bins in the fall. We could all learn a lot about simple tastes from our guinea pigs.

I have always been into craft projects. My mom was the inspiration since she did sewing, crochet, knitting, embroidery, and plastic canvas. I don’t have an Etsy shop but I was thinking of making limited numbers of things like snuffle mats and selling them. I don’t really want to start a business but thought of donating the profits to a local shelter. There are so many creative crafters already, and I just do this for fun in my spare time.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

So I have ordered Princess Abby her first throne! Its a soft fleece hidey. After sleeping on her soft, but still just paper bedding Im hoping this will be a dream for her! (Or she may think its a cool chew toy and still sleep in her pigloo. ) We will see it comes later this week.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Also, In case you haven’t seen her medical thread I’ve ordered the recommended treatment for mites. It’s only a chance she has them (no other symptoms besides frequent itching) it could be allergies or anxiety or if she’s preggers she could be feeling her babies move. It’s supposed to be harmless though and mites sound so terrible that I’m just doing it as a precaution.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Princess Abby got her new fleece hidey tonight! She was terrified of it for a couple of hours. Then while I was busy doing other things an no longer sitting by her cage, she must have figured it out. She is laying asleep, eyes closed and just adorable! She keep nuzzling it and rolling around and around. This is her first feeling of fleece, padded fleece too. She is in piggy heaven and so am I watching her just absolutely so happy and peaceful. She is resting so peacefully her eyes are all the way shut. I have a feeling I might have trouble getting her out of it now. Ill get a picture tmrw when there is better lighting.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Princess Abby is definitely pregnant and 1-2 weeks from delivery. If you have any helps on preparing for, during or after delivery care of mama and baby please let me know here or in her medical thread! Please!!!

User Tag List