Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Best water bottles

petluv

Cavy Slave
Choco water bottles (4 out of 5 star reviews) seem to get the best reviews online. Though the owners/piggies they didn’t work for suggested it was leakproof to the point their piggies couldn’t get water out and would have dehydrated if they haven’t been checked on. That makes me nervous so I ended up getting a regular Lixit water bottle even though they only got 3 stars for leaking. I’d rather scoop out wet litter than risk my piggies not being able to drink while I’m asleep or running errands!

Has anyone found a happy medium between leaking and leak proof to the point that some piggies can’t get a drink?

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I am a Choco water bottle user and have 4 bottles for my two piggies. I've never experienced the issue where the piggies couldn't get water out and I always have 2-3 bottles in the cage at any one time.

The Amazon ad shows this "Important Instruction: Please check the water bottle daily and after every refill by tapping the metal ball inside the nozzle to ensure water comes out. The water bottle is ready to use when air bubbles occur as you tap the metal ball." I do this diligently every time I refill the water bottle. After 2+ years of usage, two of the Choco bottle nozzles now leak. I have a brick underneath the bottles so the leak drips onto the brick and is absorbed. Underneath the brick I put a big pee pad in the event any water misses the brick. So far, no wet bedding.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I have multiple Happy Home water bottles, and they've been better than any others I tried before--- including Kaytee ones! They're BPA free and made in the U.S.A. They rarely, if ever, leak and plenty of water comes out with just a tap. The only time they drip a bit is when I first refill them; and it only lasts a minute or two until the water warms to room temperature. And I still check them everyday to make sure there's no issues :)

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
I bought a water bottle that works fine but they like the water bowl better.

halal.jose

Cavy Slave
I personally use this one Kaytee blue water bottle that I quickly bought in the past when gathering supplies to separating my sick Guinea Pig Oso from the other Guinea Pigs. Surprisingly it works great! It was very cheap and I have not had any problems with it really leaking. But, I would recommend to not buy any Kaytee chew proof glass water bottles as I have had bad experiences with it leaking, and sometimes the bottle does not properly dispense water. I hope this bit of information was helpful! :D

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I want to clarify that my choconose water bottle does not leak continuously. When it does leak, it is immediately after I've refilled the bottle or when I move it on the grid. Perhaps like @MerryFriarTuck, the leakage occurs during the short period of time when the water is not yet room temperature.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use glass water bottles only. I don't like plastic for myself, much less gps. Living World is excellent. Comes with a carrot so you can see water level. Got the 6 oz ones so water is fresher. I change it daily. I use zero water filters for the best filtered water out there.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I had good luck with a Living World bottle but dropped it and the neck broke. In a pinch I bought a blue Kaytee from the local humane society and it has worked well. I put a pot holder under the water bottle for occasional drips.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.