Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Where to buy Cubes in UK

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
I had mine from Argos for £7.99 could'nt beleive it when they were actually in stock in one of the stores I hardly ever visit because everything goes so quickly.

I am only after the plastic but I have another idea for a base for my cage.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I am extending, so desperately tried searching all the reachable Argos stores, to try and strike it lucky with some cubes - but to no avail. However, must have remembered someone mentioning B&Q here. Up in Edinburgh a couple of days ago, took a (major) detour, and popped into the biggest one there (we don't have one here). There was one left - none on order - the display one. I spoke kindly to an assistant who agreed we could dismantle it and take it home. When I pointed out that a few of the grids were bent, she offered me a 10% discount (not great, but better than nothing!) So I paid £17. something.

Best bit (the bit I 'forgot' to tell her) - I'll use these grids to make another ramp! Bwahahaha!

gus and jack

Cavy Slave
I'm so gutted I missed the Argos cubes, I've only had my pigs 2 weeks but I'm already looking into building them a C&C. I've been thinking about the eden shop grids and I think they're probably the best option but I was wondering how do you attach the water bottle if anyone on here has used those grids?

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Robert may do them but they have a minimum order, you do end up spending about £40.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Do try B&Q too, and give Argos a go - you may still be lucky.

The waterbottle attaches in the same way with the ordinary grids. Are the Eden Shop mesh? I imagine you'd attach it at a join in the grids - but take a look in the gallery - there are all kinds of ingenious ideas to steal!

Victoria

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was referred from guinea lynx - thanks sjehoel!

Are the mesh cubes ok for the guinea pigs? I suppose the difference is probably mainly aesthetic for people? We did make a run for them out of cardboard boxes but they didn't like it because they couldn't see out. When we play with them in the hall they're fine, when they're in the cage they're fine but when they couldn't see a whole room they just hid.I don't want to buy the cubes for them to not use it.

Secondly, we have a pet shop cage (my other half talked me into buying it, I knew I shouldn't have listened!). Do you think it would be OK to have a ramp going from that to the C&C cage so that they have loads of room?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
The mesh cubes are ideal for the pigs, so long as they're not babies, but then they're still great - you just need to 'baby proof' (make the holes smaller by overlapping extra grids).

I use garden wire to hang the water bottles from the outside.

Here is a link to the galleries, where you can see a whole load of different cage designs!
(broken link removed)
Are you thinking of making one?

Victoria

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, I think you have something different in mind - I'm intrigued! I was thinking of these ones: Eden Shop Equipment

I really want to build them a new cage so they have a decent amount of room. I was thinking of keeping their current pet store cage as a base, since it has a house already: Petsathome.com - NERO 3 RABBIT CAGE
Then putting a 2x4 or 3x3 C&C cage on top with a hole in the base and having a ramp going from their house to that level (covered off so they can't fall down by accident)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Yes, you're right! My mistake, I didn't read properly - MESH cubes! Yes, they are absolutley fine, and ofcourse, if you have babies, they won't get stuck in the holes! lol

Your cage design sounds really interesting, and a great way of utilising the shop-bought cage. WEAVER has a thread somewhere here (worth a search!) about how to build a ramp - which would sound ideal for your purpose. My ramps are different, using bent grids.

They will LOVE the bigger cage!

gus and jack

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would mention that I've just bought some grids for my own cage, I'm really excited about building it, but anyway, I found that the grids were a lot cheaper on screwfix directs website. They charge less for postage as well as cheaper grids.

Victoria

Cavy Slave
if you have babies, they won't get stuck in the holes! lolWEAVER has a thread somewhere here (worth a search!) about how to build a ramp - which would sound ideal for your purpose.
They will LOVE the bigger cage!

They are both boys so we should be safe on that score I hope!

We ended up buying the next cage up (the nero 4) which they didn't have when they bought them. It was on sale so not too much more than the cubes and choroplast would have been. My better half didn't want the cage to look cheap and now it is colour co-ordinated!

Weavers ramp looks great but now we don't have anything to make it with :sad: We do have a massive poster tube from a book shop and some outdoor matting for grip. Hopefully that will work or I've just wasted a lot of money!

Victoria

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would mention that I've just bought some grids for my own cage, I'm really excited about building it, but anyway, I found that the grids were a lot cheaper on screwfix directs website. They charge less for postage as well as cheaper grids.

Thank you for letting me know! You never know, we may still end up doing that if we can't figure this system out.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
They are both boys so we should be safe on that score I hope!

Weavers ramp looks great but now we don't have anything to make it with :sad: We do have a massive poster tube from a book shop and some outdoor matting for grip. Hopefully that will work or I've just wasted a lot of money!

Our ramp is just a carboard tube (I think it's from inside a roll of carpet). We sort of scored the inside a bit to give it more grip. The pigs use it very happily. It won't last forever but because they only transit in it and don't use it to sleep or eat then actually it doesn't get soiled.

Victoria

Cavy Slave
How have you fixed it to the cage?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
You can use cable ties to attach your ramp to the cage, or wire, or even unbent paperclips if you're really stuck.

Henriettaah

Cavy Slave
- I saw shelf cube sets in Poundstretcher this week - 16 grids for about £20

bramblesgang

Cavy Slave
Hi, First can i say hello to all as i'm new here, 2nd can i be really thick & ask in the kleeneaze cat , what to cubes come under ?
all my piggies are in a heated shed at present , i have rather a lot ! but i have one who was poorly & has now decided she would quite like to live indoors thank you ! & i quite like the look of the cubes but havent seen them any where ! and cant see them in the catalouge !!! :eek: sorry to be dim !!
many thanks !

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
It was quite a long time ago they were in the Kleeneze catalogue so I'm not convinced they still have them.

Victoria

Cavy Slave
So the cage is all done, I have more photos if anyone is interested.

cage.jpg

The boys love it!

JulianSteve

Cavy Slave
Thats amazing - how did you do it. I've just given a friend a cage and we have another one she could have and make it similar to yours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.