Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Overhang to go above floor cage

Scorpiobitch92

Cavy Gazer
So i have three pigs. I had them on the floor but they seemed so stressed because of people walking by. So i put them on a table i don't really use. Which is a smaller space. Well they started fighting because of the smaller space but they seemed happy that they didn't have people towering over them. So i put them back on the floor. Should I get like an overhang or maybe put a blanket over half the cage in a teepee like situation? Any suggestions?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Space is important to guinea pig's well being and health, so the bigger the better. Definitely give them the bigger space especially if they are fighting before one of more are injured.

Do you have a C&C cage? If so, just make them a stand out of grids that will get them up off of the floor. This will not only ease their anxiety of people towering, as you have said, but also prevents them from being exposed to drafts at floor level.

You can also drape fleece over a portion of the cage and clip it at the sides with binder clips to hold it in place to give them a sheltered area...but I would still recommend getting them off the floor.

Scorpiobitch92

Cavy Gazer
I had a midwest cage and when i adopted another pig i bought a second and just kind of rigged it together so it is one huge cage. So no i don't have the C/C grid things.
I figured the space was more important so i moved them back down to the floor.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I also started with midwest cages so I have a bit of experience with maneuvering these off the floor.

Folding plastic and metal tables, such as lifetime brand tables, can be used easily for Midwest cages if you get the proper sized width and length. They have adjustable legs, so you can make it the height you want (I would just unfold the legs without raising them) and allows for storage underneath. (Also easier on your back for cleaning). They go on sale a lot at hardware stores, Amazon and places like Walmart & target.

If you have 2 Midwest in an L shape just get 2 tables and place them the same way underneath. If you connected the cages into a very large square by connecting all the outside panels you can use a wood board over 2 tables situated on each end without having to purchase additional tables.

You can also make a stand out of grids and put the Midwest there as well. I used a coroplast bottom on mine then made a floor out of grids and zip tied this to the sides of the Midwest (2 grids is wider than a single Midwest cage, so you can overlap the grids a bit). I zip tied this to my grid stand.

The reason I made my first c&c cage is because I wanted to make my cage bigger without having table dimensions restricting me. Now I just build my stand straight down from the cage I want and it is very sturdy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.