Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Small Pet Select

petluv

Cavy Slave
Is Small Pet Select a decent brand of food or hay? Their paper litter is cheaper than care fresh if you buy it in bulk. (I figure it’s worth a try, as what they poop on isn’t as important as what goes in them. 😋) So I definitely will try that. But they also have guinea pig pellet food and hay in bulk much cheaper as well. Any thoughts on Small Pet Select guinea pig pellets and/or hay? Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
SPS hay is excellent -- I used it for years.

Their pellets are a little high in calcium -- you'd be better off with KMS Hayloft or Oxbow.

petluv

Cavy Slave
SPS hay is excellent -- I used it for years.

Their pellets are a little high in calcium -- you'd be better off with KMS Hayloft or Oxbow.

Ok thanks for this info. Can piggies not have calcium? Will it hurt them?

petluv

Cavy Slave
This is great info. Learn something new every day. By the time I finally adopt my sweet piggies I should be very prepared. ��

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for this info. Can piggies not have calcium? Will it hurt them?

bpatters link is fantastic with everything you need to know, and you can learn almost anything just reading around the forum! I know I have :) This site also helped me as a new piggy owner: www.guineapigmanual.com

Too much calcium or poor calcium/phosphorus ratios can cause things like bladder and/or kidney stones in adult guinea pigs. It's one of the reasons good pellets are so important, and why you'll have to avoid too many high calcium veggies (romaine, kale, broccoli, parsley, and celery to name a few. ) Some piggies are more sensitive to it than others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.