Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems New Guinea Pig Has Scratches

kmonkey28

Cavy Slave
Help, i just got a new guinea pig last week and i noticed she had a patch of skin missing on her nose. Today i noticed it was bleeding and upon further inspection i found patches of dry skin missing her on her back and stomach also. What could be wrong with her? She is slightly smaller than my other guinea pig, could they be fighting or could it be an infection?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It looks like she has a fungal infection. Get a topical anti-fungal cream from a pharmacy (active ingredient either clotrimazole or miconazole), apply it sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in very well twice a day. You want to rub it in well so she can't rub any off with her feet and then eat it as these medications can be dangerous if ingested. Repeat this until several days after it looks healed to make sure the fungal infection is gone. Make sure to wash your hands after handling her as fungal infections can be contagious to humans. Watch your other guinea pig for similar patches, but do not separate them as the other has already been thoroughly exposed and separation will just be stressful for them.

If the cream doesn't seem to be helping after about a week of treating post back here and we can suggest other treatments to try.

kmonkey28

Cavy Slave
It looks like she has a fungal infection. Get a topical anti-fungal cream from a pharmacy (active ingredient either clotrimazole or miconazole), apply it sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in very well twice a day. You want to rub it in well so she can't rub any off with her feet and then eat it as these medications can be dangerous if ingested. Repeat this until several days after it looks healed to make sure the fungal infection is gone. Make sure to wash your hands after handling her as fungal infections can be contagious to humans. Watch your other guinea pig for similar patches, but do not separate them as the other has already been thoroughly exposed and separation will just be stressful for them.

If the cream doesn't seem to be helping after about a week of treating post back here and we can suggest other treatments to try.
Ok thankyou for the response, i will try that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.