Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pigs for Christmas :)

MrsWu

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am a mom of two boys, age 7 and 10 and they are FINALLY responsible enough that we can get a pet. I had guinea pigs when I was a kid. (had chinchillas and cats later in life too)

I am excited to have some squeaky, bouncy bundles around again!

I have the stuff to make up a C&C cage, plan to do a fleece for it over Christmas.

Hoping to get two rescue girls, but we will look around over the holidays and see who calls to us the most.

Thanks for all the great tips here.

Jo.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for a wealth of guinea pig knowledge!

I'm sure your boys are very excited to add some furry members to your family. One word of advice, adding pets on Christmas or directly around the holidays can be quite stressful on the pets and even the people themselves. With all the hustle and bustle of holidays, outings and visitors it can be hard to start off on the right foot with an established routine.

When I worked at a shelter, we would not adopt pets out directly before Christmas. Instead we would encourage families to gift an item for the pets care and then a voucher to apply for adoption. That way, if you are planning the guinea pigs as a gift, you could gift the cage or supplies so your kids know the guinea pigs are coming, but then as a family you can choose the right ones after the busyness of the holidays are over. This helps reduce the "toy" factor of them and kids won't be as distracted with other gifts.

Thank you for doing research before your bring your new family members home though! I think we all look forward to seeing your piggies once you find the perfect ones!

MrsWu

Cavy Slave
Yes! This is the plan. I have ordered some books and am getting the cage ready. I told the kids we would go meet the available rescue pigs after we get back from visiting family.

thank you.
jo

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for a wealth of guinea pig knowledge!

I'm sure your boys are very excited to add some furry members to your family. One word of advice, adding pets on Christmas or directly around the holidays can be quite stressful on the pets and even the people themselves. With all the hustle and bustle of holidays, outings and visitors it can be hard to start off ...

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Welcome! So glad to hear you got a plan, and are looking for some sweet little rescues! You'll always know when you meet the piggies meant for you :)
Here on the forum, under About Guinea Pigs right at the top is fantastic info for new piggy owners; and under Diet and Nutrition at the top is a list of all the important, good, and bad veggies. This site also helped me a lot as new piggy owner: www.guineapigmanual.com It's very readable, with fun jokes and cute pictures, and so much great info. Your kids will enjoy reading it, too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.