Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Spoopy's Pregnancy Thread

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
Ok so it turns out Spoopy(formerly spooky) is pregnant even though my fingers were crossed she wasn't. By my count she's having the babies soon, we've had her 8.5 weeks and the last few days really has gotten bigger. And I can hear a click off and on if I listen to her belly. She's doing great, but she started barbering in the last two days, her rear and back sides. Her hair was getting long too.
I read in pregnancy some females will barber both sides. My questions are has anyone had this happen in a pregnant pig and did she stop after the babies were born or weaned? Thank you.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Re: Barbering in pregnancy

Yes I have had a sow self barber while pregnant under my care. She did stop barbering after the pups were born, and it seemed to be caused by her disliking the sensations of the pups moving about while she was pregnant. I would even catch her making annoyed whining sounds and nipping at her side when they would kick as she got towards the end of her pregnancy.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave

That's good to know she stopped. Mine is doing a number on herself, it's even worse today, the only hair still touching the floor is her front, she's cut all the rest.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave

She looks like a toddler who cut her own hair. Day 64 with us, no babies yet. I don't know how long she was pregnant before we got her. I'm hoping all goes well with no complications and I find good homes for the pups. We'll keep a girl if there is one.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
Day 70 with us. I'm guessing she was living with a male or males up until we got her :( She's not overly huge, but I can feel one or two babies moving and kicking. And she's still acting and eating normal so I'm guessing all is ok. Her pelvic bones if I felt right, were spaced a few days ago.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
I'm going to guess she's not pregnant, because it's 76 days and nothing. I could swear I felt movement and can hear clicking, and that her pelvic bones separated. When j first read about it they were very close together,now there's a space the width of my thumb. She's a lot more lazy, she lays in her bag while eating and if she's on my lap she lays sort of sideways and the bulges get bigger.
What else could the bulges be? She was small when we got her and she's doubled her length since. She feels nothing like a female I had before. She didn't have those side lumps. I'll take a pic after work. I checked with a vet I know who said not to sorry unless she seems in distress as she's either pregnant or not pregnant. There's not an exotic vet near me, I'll have to look for one.

petluv

Cavy Slave
I'm going to guess she's not pregnant, because it's 76 days and nothing. I could swear I felt movement and can hear clicking, and that her pelvic bones separated. When j first read about it they were very close together,now there's a space the width of my thumb. She's a lot more lazy, she lays in her bag while eating and if she's on my lap she lays sort of sideways and the bulges get bigger.
What else could the bulges be? She was small when we got her and she's doubled her length since. She feels nothing like a female I had before. She didn't have those side lumps. I'll take a pic after work. I checked with a vet I know who said not to sorry unless she seems in distress as she's either pregnant or not pregnant. There's not an exotic vet near me, I'll have to look for one.
I’m no vet, but could it be ovarian cysts? Also if you really really suspect pregnancy, she may need surgery to get the babies out if they aren’t coming on their own. Either way you need to get her to a vet right away. At this point a regular vet is better than nothing. Again, no expert, but they should know enough to at least see if she is pregnant. Then go from there.

Countrycavy

Cavy Slave
I’m no vet, but could it be ovarian cysts? Also if you really really suspect pregnancy, she may need surgery to get the babies out if they aren’t coming on their own. Either way you need to get her to a vet right away. At this point a regular vet is better than nothing. Again, no expert, but they should know enough to at least see if she is pregnant. Then go from there.[/QUOTE

I'm miss counting. It's only been ten weeks this week. She's young about five months so I wasn't thinking cysts. Sh3 has no other symptoms. I'm going to see if I can get a vet visit though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At five months, I doubt that it's cysts. But 10 weeks is long for a GP pregnancy, particularly with a young sow.

It's very easy to misjudge digestive movements in the intestines for pups kicking. But if there are pups in there, they absolutely will be kicking hard enough for you not to mistake it. Also, you can hear them gnashing their teeth. If you don't feel hard, definite kicks, and if you can't hear the pups, she's not pregnant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.