Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Bad bag of Oxbow hay

I just wanted to share my story so that it might help another member. Last week I purchased a 90 oz bag of Oxbow Hay Blend at a local feed store. After getting a few bags of hay from the online hay dealers and finding the hay less than satisfactory I decided to try the Oxbow brand. For the past few months I've been buying this hay from the same store and my pigs have been just loving it. I purchased this bag and since their hay bin was almost empty I just opened the bag and placed the new hay in it. That afternoon I went in to check them and I noticed that they hadn't touched the hay at all. For them, that is very unusual. They are huge hay eater.

I just thought well maybe they are full from their pellets and didn't really think too much about it. That evening when I gave them their dinner I saw that the hay pile was still untouched. I then became concerned and bent down to smell the hay that I store in a big rubbermaid uncovered bin. I can't describe the odor but it definitely wasn't that sweet smell that fresh hay is known for. I can't really say that it smelled moldy but there was definitely something wrong with it. I even called my husband, who doesn't have the best olfactory system, and his reaction was there's something wrong with that hay. Since I had no other hay I had to make a quick trip to a petstore to buy a new bag. All they had was straight Timothy Hay which my pigs don't really like all that much but they needed something.

The next day I called Oxbow and gave them all the information such as lot # and expiration date. They told me someone would be contacting me in just 24 hours to speak with me. It has now been 4 business days and no one has contacted me. I am so disappointed in their response. I realize there isn't much they could do but at least they could make the effort.

That same day I placed an order with KMS for their Bluegrass Hay. I hope it is decent.

What concerns me is what if I hadn't been paying attention and just let the hay sit in the cage. They knew something was off with the hay and they wouldn't touch it. They could have suffered serious consequences if they went without hay for even a short time.

I guess this is a cautionary tale not to just trust that the hay you buy is fresh and palatable to your pigs.

2. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Re: Bad bag of Oxbow hay

Oxbow should have better customer service than that and even if there is no fault on their part, they should provide some compensation. My guess would be that the feed store had this stored near something else and the hay picked up the smell. Or it could have been sitting on a shelf for a long time and is old.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

I just wanted to give an update to my Oxbow hay problem. After waiting a week I finally sent them another email. Within a hour they replied and said they did contact me the day after I first spoke to them. Since I never received that email I just have to take their word on it.

Anyway they happily agreed to send me another 90 oz bag of Oxbow Hay Blends. They did apologize and said if I ever receive any Oxbow products that I am unhappy with, or that my pets will not eat, just return it to the store where purchased. If that store doesn't cooperate just notify customer service and they will immediately refund any money or replace the product.

Since I had a satisfactory outcome, Oxbow is now off of my naughty list and back on my nice list. Lol!

5. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Good to know that they take customer service seriously. I had a similar experience with Chewy. I ordered one of the huge bags of Oxbow timothy since the cost per pound is so much less than smaller bags. However, the hay had long strands and was coarse almost like straw so my GP wasn't wild about it. I wrote an online review giving it 3 stars and explained that Chewy's service was great, but the hay wasn't the quality of the smaller bags. Chewy read the review and sent me an email that they want their customers to be 100% satisfied so they refunded the purchase price and told me to donate the hay to a local rescue. I never asked for a thing and planned to just use it for bedding, but I was so impressed!

7. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List