Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Pneumonia

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have seen two different antibiotics "pulsed" for stubborn infections. I had never used azithromycin for a pig before until a recent illness took one of my pigs. Both of my boys became ill about a week or so apart. One boy could take antibiotics for the most part, but still had to be force fed critical care because the pain of a dental infection made him not want to eat. My other pig was intolerant of both Baytril and Bactrim and would not eat at all.

Sadly, we had to let Punkin go before we could try azithromycin as he crashed horribly. We tried azithromycin with our remaining pig, and it was a miracle. It breaks my heart badly that we didn't have the opportunity to use it with Punkin. The what if's are haunting.

I'm not sure what effect azithromycin will have on your pig, but it saved one of ours.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I’m sorry to hear about your piggies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've done Baytril and gentamycin at the same time.

Any adverse affects are going to come from the Baytril. The nebulized gentamycin never seemed to bother mine.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I have seen two different antibiotics "pulsed" for stubborn infections. I had never used azithromycin for a pig before until a recent illness took one of my pigs. Both of my boys became ill about a week or so apart. One boy could take antibiotics for the most part, but still had to be force fed critical care because the pain of a dental infection made him not want to eat. My other pig was intolerant of both Baytril and Bactrim and would not eat at all.

Sadly, we had to let Punkin go before we could try azithromycin as he crashed horribly. We tried azithromycin with our remaining pig, and it was a miracle. It breaks my heart badly that we didn't have the opportunity to use it with Punkin. The what if's are haunting.

I'm not sure what effect azithromycin will have on your pig, but it saved one of ours.
Do you remember how long it took to see signs of improvement in your piggy that took Azithromycin? I gave my piggy her first dose last night... it’s a once a day medication. She still eats, drinks pretty well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A few days, if I remember correctly. The biggest difference I noted was that azithromycin didnt seem to affect his appetite. May not be the same for you.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My piggy is eating hay and drinking fine. I may give some critical care just in case she isn’t getting enough pellet food. I also give vitamin c tablets. And probiotics an hour after Azithromycin

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I'm hoping for the best for yours. Please do keep us updated on how she progresses.
My piggy has been taking Azithromycin for 4 days now... what an improvement! I am shocked at how well this medication is working. My piggy has been ill since November and she is finally looking like she feels better, and sounds better. The ulcer in her eye is even beginning to clear up. Thank you Guinea Pig Papa for your advice on the Azithromycin.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very happy that your girl is improving!

At this point I will add that due to Scooters' infection, the severity and location, he required 4 courses of azithromycin before we were ready to say it was gone. Be prepared to use it longer than 10 days if necessary. If the compound you received is the same as ours, once it was constituted it was garbage after 10 days and could not be used further.

It worked so well for my boy that I have two 10 day bottles on hand at home, just in case. All you have to do is add water and its shelf life is a year if I remember correctly.

So happy for you, and looking forward to more good news!

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
The one I have is only good for 10 days. I’ll have to see how she is after the 10 days and go from there.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The one I have is only good for 10 days. I’ll have to see how she is after the 10 days and go from there.

Exactly the same as what I had.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.