Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New To Guinea Pigs

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
"Wheek of the week" ---Oh my gosh that's so precious!!! And I can imagine how adorable :love:

petluv

Cavy Slave
Oh wow! Wow! WOW!!! :love:

You certainly have a tremendous love of God’s creatures! Bless you for your rescuing this whole litter! Many of us would not have that ability (even though we wanted to so so much) and it’s so wonderful you could! :love:

I look forward to hearing updates on all your foster children! :love:

ElleTrixieB13

Cavy Slave
Many of us would not have that ability (even though we wanted to so so much) and it’s so wonderful you could! :love:

it certainly how I planned to dip my toes into the cavy world, but we are making it work! I have also been very lucky to have a great group of dog people (I show & compete in various sports with my dogs). The dog people stepped up and helped me with food, hay, cages, neuter costs you name it. It's been quite a kindness.

petluv

Cavy Slave
it certainly how I planned to dip my toes into the cavy world, but we are making it work! I have also been very lucky to have a great group of dog people (I show & compete in various sports with my dogs). The dog people stepped up and helped me with food, hay, cages, neuter costs you name it. It's been quite a kindness.
It’s so wonderful how these things work out. I’m glad you have help. Guinea pigs can be both costly and time consuming, especially 8 of them! lol Then any babies the girls may have. Definitely good to have support. Maybe these people or their families may be willing to take some of the babies. :)

ElleTrixieB13

Cavy Slave
Then any babies the girls may have. Definitely good to have support. Maybe these people or their families may be willing to take some of the babies. :)

There are a couple waiting and seeing on babies, but I've made it 43 days without babies so I'm starting to feel optimistic that I don't have six pregnant females by some miracle. There are two I'm suspicious of, but they are also my most skittish (Bellatrix & Fleur) so I haven't been weighing them. Fingers crossed for minimal babies!

ElleTrixieB13

Cavy Slave
I thought I would share this video of the girls at snack time! They are in a 6x4 C&C and what a difference six weeks make! They are getting so friendly and social. Fleur took food from my hand for the first time yesterday! She's still unsure but getting there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNyg-p78Do&feature=youtu.be

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That is so adorably precious!!! :love: They're just beautiful and everyone looks so sweet. What a happy piggy herd and wonderful progress, indeed--- thank you for sharing the piggy joy!! :D

petluv

Cavy Slave
I’m glad you are all getting along so well. I can’t imagine how much work it would take to take such good care of so many little ones, God bless your efforts! They seem to be returning the love. How precious! Please continue to update us. Your story and piggies are so inspiring!

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
I really appreciate you buying them! Im wondering where you got these guinea pigs because i have heard rumors that a few pet stores get there guinea pigs by horrible breeders. anyway I hope you have a wonderful journey with your piggies! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@XpancakeX, it's not just a few pet stores that get their pigs from horrible places, it's most of them, including almost, if not completely all of the big box stores.

XpancakeX

Cavy Slave
Finally Someone WHo Understands! I know i think its really horrible. At least i got them from my cousins guinea pigs (who had baby's)

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Absolutely amazing what you’ve done, the poor babies really needed you and you were their saviour there are not too many people who have a big enough heart to take all 8 you truly are amazing and I think it’s absolutely sick that they were being kept like that

One of my girls was pregnant when I adopted her I did not know I was told they were both boys however they both turned out to be girls (kind of luckily I didn’t have to neuter one) but I felt the babies in her tummy and took her to my vet he said yup she’s a girl they both are and one is pregnant! She had two babies and everything turned out great and I found loving homes for both babies it was very hard to say goodbye though but anyways if any of your piggies are pregnant my advice would be to separate mommy and babies so the babies don’t try to feed off the other piggies also so they don’t get bullied, at 3 months separate the males because they will start reproducing and they don’t care that it’s their mom or sisters lol the first food babies eat after milk will be their mothers poop this might be weird but very normal it has the most nutritional value for them at that age and when they start eating pellets they need a high fibre diet (young guinea pig food is fine)

Edited by bpatters: Males can reproduce at three WEEKS, not three months. Pups do not normally eat the mom's poop -- they're fully capable of eating hay, veggies and pellets shortly after birth. If your cage size is adequate, there's no need to separate a pregnant sow. You should, however, keep a close eye on them in case one of your non-pregnant sows is the one-in-ten-thousand that doesn't like pups.

I wish you all the best on your journey with guinea pigs love seeing the updates!
This was the babies my girl had

And these are my girls Rick (black and white had the babies) and Morty (brown and white)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@Mills123 some of the information you are sharing is not correct.

1 - It's fine to keep a pregnant sow with her cagemates to have and raise the babies as long as the cage is an adequate size. Cagemates often make amazing nanny pigs, helping clean off new borns and showing them how to interact within the herd. As long as their space is big enough and resources are spread out, there's generally very few issues. Pigs are very accepting of babies.

2 - male babies should be separated at 3 weeks, not 3 months.

3 - babies do rely on their mother's milk, however, they will start eating regular food within the first day or two in addition to nursing. They should always have access to hay, pellets, and a water bottle, plus they can start having veggies right away too. They copy the other pigs around them and will start eating whatever everyone else is eating. Consistently eating other pig's poop instead of food is not normal.

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Whoops I meant to say three WEEKS! You are correct not months!!! That was my mistake, however the rest I meant as some tips that applied to me my cage mate got very agressive with the babies and when they tried to breastfeed off was f her she would fight them I simply meant to keep an eye on them and separate of need be! Also babies do eat their mothers poop my boss/vet (same person) warned me about this before the babies were born and that’s what they mostly ate for almost a week! He also told me this is quite common. Sorry for the confusion in my post by all means I am not an expert just giving some tips that helped me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.