Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Snagged nail

Scooter_is_dumb

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Scooter got his nail snagged on my shorts that have these little holes in them. His nail is black at the base and normal colored at the tip and he walks as though it hurts and doesn’t put pressure on it he’s basically walking on his one front paw instead of both. He doesn’t seem that bothered by it occasionally he’ll like lick the nail and then go back to laying down or eating. I can’t really afford a vet anytime soon so I was kind of hoping this would just heal on it’s own i doubt its serious but it’d be nice to get some other opinions. I’ve attached a picture

Attachments

798FDCBD-B44B-4C9E-B8BC-AB3A055B7363.jpg

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I can't answer on how serious it might be -- maybe another member can -- but I'm not sure what a vet would do for a potentially broken toe anyhow. (Just thinking of worst-case... not saying that it is.) But it does look like Scooter needs his nails trimmed. My son's pig Ralphy used to get hooked nails like that, and every time it happened he would have trouble walking comfortably until we trimmed his nails. So that might be the main issue -- the hooked nail is making his paw turn in a way that's not comfortable for him.

As long as he's still eating and acting normal, he should be all right. Keep us updated!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
It looks to me like the quick in his nail was damaged, and the black you see is blood. That's probably causing pressure and that's what hurts him. Is the nail broken/loose/cracked/ etc in any way?

I have experience with injured dog and parrot nails but not an injured guinea pigs; so I don't know how serious this is for a piggy either.

Scooter_is_dumb

Cavy Slave
It looks to me like the quick in his nail was damaged, and the black you see is blood. That's probably causing pressure and that's what hurts him. Is the nail broken/loose/cracked/ etc in any way?

I have experience with injured dog and parrot nails but not an injured guinea pigs; so I don't know how serious this is for a piggy either.

it started bleeding yesterday because I tried to trim the nail because it kept getting caught on stuff but he ended up bleeding. He seems to be in pain when I try to cut the nail and it doesn’t seem loose. I stopped the bleeding cleaned him up and made him a clean cage to keep it from getting infected.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That's good, you're doing everything right. I wanted to make sure he didn't half rip it out or something; that's why I asked if it was loose. Did it bleed at all when it happened, or only now when you tried to trim it? When I blow up your picture it looks like the injury is around the base of the nail...unless someone here can tell you more than me, and if it doesn't get better, he probably should be run by the vet.

Scooter_is_dumb

Cavy Slave
That's good, you're doing everything right. I wanted to make sure he didn't half rip it out or something; that's why I asked if it was loose. Did it bleed at all when it happened, or only now when you tried to trim it? When I blow up your picture it looks like the injury is around the base of the nail...unless someone here can tell you more than me, and if it doesn't get better, he probably should be run by the vet.

it only bled when I tried to trim the nail. The finger looks swollen it’s bigger than the rest of his fingers but he’s walking on it normally this is what it looks like now

Attachments

4FC90667-EA2A-4503-96CB-076BE306C08E.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
His toe looks more swollen compared to the first picture...and I definitely think the injury is where the nail meets his toe. When you tried to trim it, it probably put pressure on the quick and made it bleed. Keep an eye on it to see if the swelling gets worse, his toe more angry/red looking, or he starts to just not act like himself. I wish I could help you more--- keep us updated!

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
I agree with MerryFriarTuck... that's looking worse, and it definitely sounds like an injury as opposed to just an odd nail. Poor baby... Do keep us updated!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
How is Scooter's nail?

Scooter_is_dumb

Cavy Slave
It eventually fell off and is in the process of growing back! He is okay

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear your Scooter is doing better!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
So glad he's ok!

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
That's awesome! Glad he's doing fine!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.