Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Refused by rescue because my cage has a second floor

hananas

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone.

I've been trying to adopt two guinea pigs for a little while, so I've set up everything I could. I've find a rescue in my country which wasn't easy as there's surprisingly not a lot, and they're pretty serious.
They asked for a minimum 6x2 C&C cage for two guinea pigs, which surprised me because usually it's 4x2, but I complied since I have the place and it's always better to have more space for our piggies etc. They required only water bowl and no water bottles, which again I've found odd but whatever, I did it.

But I've just received a notice that I've been refused! Because ma cavee cage has a second floor! I don't understand. Apparently ''Guinea pigs aren't made to jump (there's a ramp) and climb, they only live on the ground.'' and this is making me so confused?

Are ramps and second floor really bad? I see it a lot in guinea pigs pictures but maybe I was wrong?
Has any of you felt like your piggies weren't ''climbers'' (again, big word for a ramp)

I'm really frustrated with this rescue. I might just try to find another alternative like adoption from someone who can't house pigs anymore etc.

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
First of all, how do they know that you have a second level? Don't tell me that they do home visits before permitting you to adopt! :crazy:

This rescue sounds as though they certainly are behind the current knowledge about cavies. Personally, I would look around for another source for your piggies. Barring that, I would simply omit telling them every detail about your cage....find out what they want first.

Ramps are quite fine. My boys get more exercise running up/down the ramp than they ever do running around the cage. So long as the ramp has sides on it where they can't easily fall off, there is generally no issue with it.

hananas

Cavy Slave
First of all, how do they know that you have a second level? Don't tell me that they do home visits before permitting you to adopt! :crazy:

They do!! lol But this time it was a first checkup so they only asked for cage picture + measurements.
They have a whole PDF with all the requirements and this is nice I guess but the second floor thing wasn't in it, this really bothered me.

But oh well, I'm really relieved about your message and how it gives exercise to your piggies. I was really confused. I'll be sure to make sure the ramp is safe.

I've found some people with an unexpected pregnancy so I might consider taking them from them instead. Just really liked the rescue idea because they had a vet record for each pig ^^'

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
I'll second or third what was said here. Apparently this rescue's knowledge of piggys is sorely lacking. No, they are not as agile as rats but don't jump or climb? I don't think so. Ours with no provoking will climb steps if you let them. We only do it under supervision now. We found out quite unexpectedly that they will do it. During floor time Checkers found the steps and decided to explore. Being afraid they may fall we now block the steps for their benefit and ours, cuts down on places to look if they disappear. We already found out what can happen if you don't pay a close eye in Ginger and Checkers close call. Bottom line, they can and will climb. Don't believe it? Put males in a non-covered cage near females in a non-covered cage that are in-heat and see how long it takes for the males to get in. (Don't actually do that but you get the idea)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.