Thread: Where can I find cheap supplies to make my own cage?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Where can I find cheap supplies to make my own cage?

Hi! My guinea pig's cage is too small, and I want to make him one but my mom's worried about the prices. Is there somewhere I can buy really cheap supplies so I can make him a cage that will last a long time? I've either found cheap items that have really bad reviews or really good items that are expensive. If anyone can tell me where to get cheap supplies, that would be great!

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/33 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Re: Where can I find cheap supplies to make my own cage?

C&C cages are relatively cheap. I bought shelving grids from walmart for $25 or so and a giant sheet of coroplast from Home Depot for $20. I made my own. Then you could use whatever bedding you want in it or fleece.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

There were elections in lots of places in early November, and candidate signs are made out of coroplast. You should be able to get a bunch of them and tape them together. Just be sure to tape on the bottom side so the pigs can't eat the tape.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I purchased grids from Amazon and a coroplast sheet from Home Depot. Total cost was around $45 for something far better than a store bought cage. I am moving to fleece over wood pellets instead of bedding. It adds laundry, but the cost per load compared to bedding is much less.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54F6C046-80CA-4C40-B39F-9C7722479A04.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	86666

I live in Australia. We ordered the bookcase grid from ebay for around $30. Bought corflute from Bunnings for $2o. Baby’s polar fleece blankets from Kmart for $4. We had a lot of fleece and off cuts. Used leftover coroplast to build hideys though now that they are bigger we just use cardboard box and we make them new hideys every week and throw out old ones.

We don’t use towels. We line it with scented puppy pads. We just a cat litter tray for their kitchen. They were toilet trained but now they r bugger, more comfortable and cheeky. They like to take the food back to their hidey and poo everywhere. Though majority of poo is still in kitchen.

The whole set up is around $70 inc drink drip, food bowls etc Overall very cheap to set up n
    cheap to maintain. We haven’t bought anything else except food. Get creative with cardboard boxes for hideys, ramps and tunnels. They each have a mini
    mansion. Very cute.

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I got lucky and got most of my grids for free through Craigs List. You might want to check Craigs List, Next Door, and Freecycle sites to see if there are any available for free.

Do you live near a Daiso (Japanese dollar) store? At my local Daiso, there are rectangle grids available for a few dollars each. Also I saw a post from a European who uses Ikea Grejig shoe rack grids @ $4.99 each, which are also rectangle.

User Tag List