Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Where can I find cheap supplies to make my own cage?

UniLuke

Cavy Slave
Hi! My guinea pig's cage is too small, and I want to make him one but my mom's worried about the prices. Is there somewhere I can buy really cheap supplies so I can make him a cage that will last a long time? I've either found cheap items that have really bad reviews or really good items that are expensive. If anyone can tell me where to get cheap supplies, that would be great!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There were elections in lots of places in early November, and candidate signs are made out of coroplast. You should be able to get a bunch of them and tape them together. Just be sure to tape on the bottom side so the pigs can't eat the tape.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I purchased grids from Amazon and a coroplast sheet from Home Depot. Total cost was around $45 for something far better than a store bought cage. I am moving to fleece over wood pellets instead of bedding. It adds laundry, but the cost per load compared to bedding is much less.

CocoNParis

Cavy Gazer
54F6C046-80CA-4C40-B39F-9C7722479A04.jpg

I live in Australia. We ordered the bookcase grid from ebay for around $30. Bought corflute from Bunnings for $2o. Baby’s polar fleece blankets from Kmart for $4. We had a lot of fleece and off cuts. Used leftover coroplast to build hideys though now that they are bigger we just use cardboard box and we make them new hideys every week and throw out old ones.

We don’t use towels. We line it with scented puppy pads. We just a cat litter tray for their kitchen. They were toilet trained but now they r bugger, more comfortable and cheeky. They like to take the food back to their hidey and poo everywhere. Though majority of poo is still in kitchen.

The whole set up is around $70 inc drink drip, food bowls etc Overall very cheap to set up n
cheap to maintain. We haven’t bought anything else except food. Get creative with cardboard boxes for hideys, ramps and tunnels. They each have a mini
mansion. Very cute.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I got lucky and got most of my grids for free through Craigs List. You might want to check Craigs List, Next Door, and Freecycle sites to see if there are any available for free.

Do you live near a Daiso (Japanese dollar) store? At my local Daiso, there are rectangle grids available for a few dollars each. Also I saw a post from a European who uses Ikea Grejig shoe rack grids @ $4.99 each, which are also rectangle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.