Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How do I stop my sows from barbering?

Piggywigs

Cavy Gazer
Hi all,
this is my first post here so I feel a bit silly asking, but recently one of my year old sows has started to barber her sister extremely badly and now there are open wounds (that are now being treated). I had hoped that this wasn’t the case and that she was doing it to herself until I caught her sister in the act! I’ve separated them for now but I don’t want to keep this as a permanent arrangement as I have 3 other boars currently separated. Is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour so I can safely put them back in together? I’ve all ready looked into getting a new hutch for them, as Ive realised the hutch they’re in now is way to small and maybe some more toys, but that’s all I can come up with.
Thank you for reading! ❤️

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A larger cage would definitely help. Two adult pigs need at least eight square feet, and more is definitely better.

It might also help to give the barbered pig a short haircut. Maybe the barber will lose interest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.