Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Would ultrasonic rodent repeller bother indoor piggies if it was outside the house?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Weird question but I just wanted to check... Here's a link to the one in question on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/T3-R-Triple-Impact-Rodent-Repeller/dp/B00J1VJPUA

Our piggies are of course in the house, and I know any form of ultrasonic rodent repeller bothers guinea pigs, too, if it's indoors with them. But would it be ok if it was outside?

We have close to an acre and have been having trouble with rats trying to nest in our vehicles. We would put the ultrasonic repeller by them; which is about 100 feet from the house.

Our piggies are also in a "three season porch" like room that's all windows ( it's completely a part of the house and heated/cooled etc, and where we spend most of our time like a family room )

Thanks for any help! ( And any tips for humane ways to keep rats away would be appreciated too! lol )

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I have a older one that is down stairs and my piggy is up in my room but goes down for floor time and it doesn't seem to bother him at all

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it! My only expierance is I have cousins that had one indoors where their guinea pigs were, and they had stopped wheeking before they figured out that was causing it and removed it.

That particular one in the link is supposed to be ok for rabbits, but it doesn't say anything about guinea pigs...but either way we'll have it outside while the piggies are inside, so i don't think it'll bother them... I just want to make sure!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
We have a shed in our yard and have one plugged in there. When I bought it the instructions specifically stated not to use in a house if you have any kind of rodents. I would not use one anywhere near my guinea pigs or rats. To answer the op's question, I don't see any reason that you couldn't put one outside. I've also heard, although I've never tried it, that peppermint oil will often times help to repel mice. You are suppose to put it on cotton balls and place it in the area where the mice congregate. I don't know if it really works or if it has the same effect on rats.

I feel your frustration. Since I have pet rats, I have an weakness for rats, even the wild ones. I don't want them near our house but I don't want to kill them either.

So it doesn't bother your piggies with it outside? Does it really work keeping the rats out of your shed?

We've actually been using peppermint oil, along with a spruce/pine/fir something oil... It smells a lot like Christmas! lol It made a difference at first, but despite smelling as strong as ever it seems to have worn off. We've also tried small strobe lights.

I have the same weakness too--- really for pretty much any wild animal. When I was little we had two pet rats, Harry Potter and Snowball. Harry Potter was a feeder rat *shudder* that the guy in a small town pet store refused to sell because he had a perfect lightning bolt marking on his forehead; but he couldn't get anyone to buy him as a pet, either... until us :) Snowball was an obviously domestic and albino rat we found in the road dodging traffic. I think they both had 9 lives like a cat!

So anyway we refuse to poison even little wild rats. The consequences of poison go beyond just them, on top of it---any other animal that eats a poisoned rat can die too: birds of prey, raccoons, foxes, etc.

Thanks for the help!!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you @Kelsie! What brand name/model is the one you have?

We have a carport and the wild rats have their hearts set on making an apartment out of our jeeps. We've removed everything that could attract them, and despite the peppermint etc they're still at it... That's why we're getting the ultrasonic repellers.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie Thanks so much for all the help!!

I think we're going to get the one in the Amazon link since Weitech doesn't seem to be an option any more. We've lived here a year and half and never had a problem before the last month or so; but now it's been relentless. Really really hope the repellers will work!

We have lots of raccoons as well, but aside from the occasional startle like you had they never cause problems :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Update: They worked!!! :D

I'm not sure if they're the same ones as in the above link, but if not they're very similar. Between them ( the ultrasonic repellers ) and a few flood lights, the little wild rats have finally moved on. Not a sign of them for weeks! And best of all, you definitely can't hear them inside, and so it's definitely not bothering our guinea pig boys.

Thanks for all the help---just wanted to let everyone know in case they have a similar issue!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.