Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Babysitting, looking for advice...

bbutton

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I’m new here... thank you for adding me!
My question... we have 2 guinea pigs at work that we adopted from a rescue. At work they have a very nice and huge built-in enclosure. I am babysitting them over Thanksgiving and my boss just dropped off their “vacation home” at my house yesterday. It is really too small for them, I think, even just for a few days. I do opossum rehab and have an empty (and sterilized) Critter Nation cage available. Even with just one level there would be more than twice the floor space of the “vacation home” he brought over. I am planning to use the CN cage with fleece and a litter pan. They are accustomed to shavings. Will the switch be stressful? Any advice? Better to keep them in the “vacation house”? Thank you in advance!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Larger is better, and they'll be better off there.

bbutton

Cavy Gazer
Larger is better, and they'll be better off there.
Thanks! That is what I was thinking. So how does a litter pan work? Just put some chips in it? Thanks again!

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
Can you somehow link the possum rehab and the va-ca cage?

SSLee

Cavy Slave
For the litter pan, I typically put in a layer of newspaper, bedding (usually CareFresh or Fresh News litter), and topped by bits of hay. Since the litter pan is immediately below the hay rack, my piggy will add more loose hay to it as she pulls the hay from the rack. I remove poop and the wet bits daily and change out the entire litter pan every 2-3 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.