Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Tips for teaching piggys how to use a water bowl?

arethmic.salami

Cavy Gazer
I always keep my pigs water bottle full, but lately he has been making a lot of noise with it. Im thinking of switching it to a water bowl, any tips?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't. It's 100% guaranteed that he'll pee and poop in it.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I would absolutely keep your water bottle, too. Water bowls are impossible to keep clean, piggies will constantly spill them ( soaking the bedding and themselves ) , and if they spilled it when you weren't home, they could go without water for hours. Also, if he's only ever had a bottle, he might not know how to drink from a bowl.

AnitaJohnson

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need water bottles to drink. While they technically can drink out of a bowl, it is not the best solution. You’ve probably noticed that your cavy makes a big mess when it eats, and the same can be true when they drink. Bowls collect bacteria more quickly than water bottles and they do not have lids. Your pet can get into the bowl and spill water in their crate. They could also put their food or bedding in the water. Water bottles dispense the right amount of water to your pet. You do not have to clean the bottle as often as a bowl. Once a week should be fine to keep bacteria away. It is easy to buy a water bottle that provides as much water as your pet needs. You could even attach two bottles to their crate if they like to drink a lot or you will be away for a longer period of time. Sometimes the dispenser gets stuck in the metal straw, so check your water bottle regularly to ensure it is working. I wrote a step by step guide about : Guinea Pigs water drinking tips that you can check it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.