Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Second Opinion: Trouble Sexing Guinea Pig

Hello! I picked up a young adult Guinea Pig (no older than a few months by the looks of it) to pair with my other female Guinea Pig as a companion. I asked for a female Guinea but when I introduced them to our other Guinea, they shortly tried to mount them. I know that can be due to them trying to show dominance but I wanted to check and make sure the new Guinea was a female but when we did, we werenít too sure. I donít have any plans on raising newborn Guinea Pigs so Iíll most likely take the little cutie to the vet tomorrow to be absolutely sure but since it costs around 70 dollars, I was hoping if anyone could give me an opinion based on the photos I post. Maybe theyíre obviously a female and Iím just being paranoid. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98AFE028-622A-4432-83EA-59B23AF3BC55.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	86448  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,225 Rec'd/5,755 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3793 Post(s)

Re: Second Opinion: Trouble Sexing Guinea Pig

The acid test of a male is whether or not you can feel a penis bone. Put your index finger crosswise his body, just barely above his genitalia, and gently push back and forth. If there's a bone there, you should be able to feel it rolling under your finger. Alternatively, press your finger in and down at the same place, and you may be able to extrude the penis.

You can also compare at http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm -- there are lots of pictures there.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I uh tried but am still unsure. I compared them to my female and they look a bit different so I think my only option right now is to just keep them separate for the night and then take them to the vet tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    501 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

That image looks like a female.

Trust me when I say when you feel for the bone in the penis on a male guinea pig there is no mistaking it, particularly if you compare it to a known female, it will feel like a very firm line just under the skin above the genitals whereas females will feel just soft and squishy there.

User Tag List