Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Help! Advice for weaning off critical care

ecowoman

Cavy Slave
My piggie is only 1.5 years old and recently had dental work (teeth) planing and recovery from a mouth ulcer. He was on antibiotics and pain meds but is off them now. He has been on critical care since his procedure and lost a bunch of weight that first week. He is stable weight now with about 4-5 CC feedings a day (about 50 cc). He is barely eating pellets, not eating hay, and only eats a few shaved carrots or some tomato. I have been feeding him CC for almost a month and he loves the stuff....begs, squeals and squeaks for it. How am I going to wean him off the critical care? The vet currently says not to as he is being treated for fungal inner ear infection. I want to get him to eat by himself and want advice as I still give him CC. The vet has no advice other than some will never eat normal again which breaks my heart He is acting like a fairly normal pig other than not really eating other foods (maybe a bit less active). I do not want to give up on him but I also don't want to spend so many hours a day feeding him CC. Has anybody had the problem of a piggie loving CC a bit too much? I need tips on getting him to eat more food on his own. I will NOT stop critical care. Should I feed him a little less and then offer the moistened pellets instead? Advice please....THANK YOU!

Sort of a separate issue - what do you do when you go out of town and the piggie needs critical care feeding?
Should we bring him to my families alone in a carrier or will that stress him out to much?

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I can only share my experience of moving a piggies off of critical care. Your experience may be different because it was a dental problem. I mixed a bit of critical care with some pellets and water to make a mush for lack of a better term. I reduced the critical care and transitioned my piggy to the mush. I would test less water in the mush and offer various veggies until she was back to her regular diet. It took a week or so, but again this was not a dental problem my piggy had so it may not apply to your situation.

ecowoman

Cavy Slave
Did you put the mush in a bowl in the cage? How did you deal with the others eating it? I have one other piggie and he would gladly eat the mush!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.