Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece fleece dryness

otrippiehippieo

Cavy Gazer
so i’m new to using fleece and was wondering if i’m doing this correctly or not.

i’ve prepped the fleece - accidentally messed up the first two times by using cold water, aside from that i’ve washed them four times. hot water, all natural, no softener, no scented detergent, dried each time with no dryer sheet.

i tested it by putting down a towel as an absorbent layer with one layer of fleece on top, poured a bit of warm water (to act as a guinea pig peeing), i tested both sides to see which side wicks better (if that makes a difference?) and so far it seemed to go through automatically, one side more better than the other.

i’m assuming it’s normal for it to stay a bit damp on top and it will dry over a little bit of time? i checked back in 10mins after and it was pretty much dry anyhow.. that won’t be an issue right?

on the second fleece i have, prepped same way, it seemed to wick away the water but it also took a minute if that makes sense. it went through in one spot, pooled for a few seconds and then finally all went down.. normal or did i do something wrong? does it need to be washed again?

any other tips and advice regarding fleece helps also, i apologize if there dumb questions - i just wanna give my piggies the best.

thanks in advance! :love:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like you've done everything properly and the fleece is doing it's job. The second piece could perhaps use another wash or two, but otherwise everything sounds just fine.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Are both pieces of fleece the same type? There are a few different types and the textures are different. Anti-pill blizzard is the less-expensive. It’s the thinnest and I think it wicks well. The drawback is hay sticks to it so it can be hard to wash. I use the plush blizzard. It’s thicker and has a silkier texture so hay doesn’t stick as much. However, I don’t think it wicks as well. Sometimes it seems to be damp on the surface. The higher priced minky fleece is soft and silky, but I don’t think it wicks well at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.