Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Will Cedar Wood in the closets cause respiratory infection?

Liela

Cavy Gazer
Hi

I would like to place cedar wood blocks and satchels in all our closets and cupboards to keep bugs away. We live in a tiny flat.

I know that cedar wood can cause respiratory problems in guinea pigs. Is this only if the cedar wood is in the cage with the guineas? Or can the smell from the the wood in the closets affect the guineas as well? Dont want to harm our guineas but really need to put something in the closets and cupboards for bugs.

Please help?

Liela

Cavy Gazer
Years ago my husband built a large table for my guinea pig cage. Since the table was up on legs I had space underneath it to put something. I had a cedar chest that I used to store my sheets and blankets. I wanted to put the cedar chest under the table. Like you, I was concerned if the odor from the cedar that was lining the chest would cause a problem for my pigs. I posted the question to this forum and received an answer from a long time forum member. She said that since the area between the chest and the guinea pigs was separated by a large piece of wood she didn't think that it would cause any problems. For almost eight years that chest sat under the pigs table/cage and it never caused them a bit of problems. Both of the pigs lived to be almost eight years of age.

I certainly don't think that using cedar wood blocks in your closets or drawers will cause your pigs any issues. It's really good that you posted your concerns though. When it comes to the well-being of our pigs, I don't think it's ever wrong to ask others for their opinions.

Thank you so much for your reply. This definitely puts my mind at ease!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.