Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Temperature

AirSocial

Cavy Gazer
So I just got my first Guiena Pig today. I got it at Petco Since its the only place around me to buy them. I checked to adopt but can't find anyplace. I was going to buy two males but the lady at the pet store told me how two males will fight and me not really knowing I believed her. I now know they won't if you introduce them right and have a big enough cage. (I have a midwest) I am going to get another Piggy in the next couple of days. Anyways I live in New York where some days in the winter its 50F and other its 20F. This creates a concern for my piggy. I have the house heat set at 62F for winter all the time but I feel like this isn't enough. I had a plan of taking a small portable heater and hooking it up to an alexa smart plug and program it to turn are in the middle of the night for about 5 minutes just to warm up the room a little. Would this be good for them or whatelse should I do?

hananas

Cavy Slave
If you are worried, provide them some nice fleece snuggle pack, a lot of nice little covers to hide etc, but to be honest my rule is if the room feels comfortable enough for you it should be fine for your piggies. Don't forget to check their behaviors, shivering etc.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would not use an unattended portable heater. You can cover the cage with a blanket at night, or put hideys that are just larger than the pigs in there -- their body heat will help keep them warm. And unless they're skinnies, they probably won't have any problems with those temperatures.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The temps are between 62 and 64 in the room for my guinea pig. I have extra pieces of fleece that I fluff up and she sometimes snuggles in that or else sleeps in her hay. I get more concerned about drafts since she’s near a wall on the northwest side and there is a small window. I drape fabric on the back and halfway across the top of her cage so there is still plenty of circulation but no drafts and that seems to keep her comfy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.