Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Warm Enough?

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I live in a basement apartment, and I have my two boys' 2 x 5 cage in my bedroom. My room is cool in the summer, so I've never had concerns about overheating. However, as the temperatures drop, I'm worried about my boys getting too cold. Last night was probably close to 60 degrees (maybe slightly less) in my room, which has me worried about them getting too cold. So far, here's what I've been doing for the boys.

- At night, I cover about 1/3- 1/4 of the cage with a thin-ish blanket/throw.

- The boys have a few fleece items, which they prefer to sleep on top of instead of cuddling inside. Their toy of choice lately has been the two Guinea Dad cardboard boxes, which they sleep inside.

Do you think these measures are enough, or should I do more to keep my boys warm? I know guinea pigs are sensitive to heat, so I don't want to overheat them, but I don't want them to be too cold either.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@thistlewriter, do you have the Guinea Dad liner with the pocket? That should help keep them warm.

Where I am, it has been around 62 degrees at night and I have also been covering the cage with beach towels and a blanket. It also works pretty well as a place to dry the newly washed Guinea Dad liner.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Beware of the pockets. We had a user at GL whose pigs had continuous URIs, and the cause was the pockets where the pigs spent a lot of time. Once the pockets were removed, the pigs recovered.

You can put larger pieces of fleece in the cage that they can burrow in, or use small cardboard boxes with holes cut in. Drape something over the box, and that will help hold the heat in.

But pigs do fine in cooler temperatures. Unless they're skinnies or are or have been ill, they're just little balls of fat and fur, and can tolerate colder temperatures. We had a user on here a while back who rescued a guinea pig that had been outside in ice and snow and below freezing temperatures for a couple of days.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
@thistlewriter, do you have the Guinea Dad liner with the pocket? That should help keep them warm.

Where I am, it has been around 62 degrees at night and I have also been covering the cage with beach towels and a blanket. It also works pretty well as a place to dry the newly washed Guinea Dad liner.

No, I don't use Guinea Dad liners and don't have any plans to buy them in the future. Besides, the boys do have one fleece pocket item, but they prefer to lie on top of it instead of burrowing inside it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.