Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Weaning off of Critical care...advice?

ecowoman

Cavy Slave
My vet wanted my guinea pig on critical care for two weeks and during the initial week he lost a lot of weight. It is now time to wean him off of the stuff and he is super addicted to it. He begs like crazy and I have heard two schools of thought - quitting cold turkey or reducing the amount. I will find out tomorrow what my vet recommends but I am torn. He will eat pellets and fruit but no vegetables right now. I suspect that is because the critical care tastes so yummy to him. He can chew but the reason for the critical care was a tooth filing and also to let an infected pocket in his mouth heal. He will lose weight if he is weaned either way as he is so crazy for it. Has anybody else encountered this? I get that he is a rodent and is conditioned and I am conditioned but going from 20 ml several times a day to none seems drastic. YES, I will find out from my vet what she recommends. I know he will have to go off of the stuff but I want to know a way that works for most people. Not to sound callous, but I am so sick of hand feeding him!!!!!!

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
When one of my girls was sick I weaned her off. I reduced the critical care and made mushy pellets and slowly back to a normal diet. She really liked critical care also, but moved over to mushy pellets pretty quickly. It was uber cute seeing her when she ate mushy pellets because she would get it all over her face and look up with the 'do I got something on me face?' look. I digress....Follow your vets advice, but weaning worked well for me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do a slow wean rather than cold turkey.

ecowoman

Cavy Slave
Yes, he currently has the CC on his chin. I am glad I am a stay at home mom right now or this little bugger would not have had enough nutrients.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.