Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad pigs wont eat after other passed

cranberrybaby

Cavy Slave
So one of my pigs recently passed over the rainbow bridge a day or so ago and i've noticed my other pigs eating and drinking less. Is this normal? Should i be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
So one of my pigs recently passed over the rainbow bridge a day or so ago and i've noticed my other pigs eating and drinking less. Is this normal? Should i be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep an eye on them for sure, it could be that the volume is less due to your loss of a piggy. Sorry to hear that.

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
My condolences for the passing of your piggie:( . Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is normal for a guinea pig to experience depression after the passing of a cagemate-- they are social animals and need company, and the loss of a friend can impact their mood. It also messes with their habits-- your living piggie's habits were likely linked to their cagemate, and the change will need some getting used to.

For now, I would suggest monitoring your pig's behavior to get a better idea of what might be bothering him/her. Give them lots of love and and attention, and make sure they have fresh water/hay/pellets every day.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences on the loss of your guinea pig. The other piggies will certainly know something has changed and they will probably need to figure out who the new leaders and followers are.

It may help to rearrange their cage and hideys to give them something else to think about. Guinea pigs are very good at memorizing escape routes so they explore and remember where to run. Some brain games might help them focus on something other than their missing buddy.

anithadixon

Cavy Slave
Keep an eye on your rest of the pigs. Sorry that you lost your pig.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to read about your piggy's passing.

When the alpha, Birdy, of my pair passed away in June, my submissive piggy, Lily, barely ate anything for the next three days. But after that Lily rebounded and ate more than before. That might have been due to Birdy in the past being being a food hog and snatching food from Lily's mouth ongoing. Lily is now bigger than she was before Birdy's passing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.