Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Odds of Pregnancy?

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Hello!

While I am not new to guinea pigs, I just recently took in my first ever girl piggie! I have many reasons to suspect pregnancy, but I am woefully inexperienced in this area and predisposed to self-doubt, so I'm unsure.

Quick preface-- she is a pet store piggie (yes, I know, not ideal, but let me explain.) This pet store is small-town and fish based, by which I mean unsuited to other pets, and Henrietta and her pal were squeezed in a dirty, square foot box without food available. The store evidently knew nothing about guinea pigs, and didn't seem to care much. It was horrible. When i sexed them, i discovered yet another unethical practice-- Henrietta's pal was a boy. I hated the idea of a probably pregnant girly stuck in those conditions, and worse, babies being born in that filth.

I know, I know, you should always rescue first. But I took her in anyways. And, of course immediately upon getting her, I began to doubt myself. What if she isn't even pregnant? Did I overreact?

I have had Henrietta for a week now. She is supposedly 6 mo, and if so is very large for her age. She's like a little furry mini van. She is not eating much and is quite skittish, but I have no way to tell if this means anything more than regular "I am a new piggie and am not sure about this whole deal yet" behavior.

I know she was in the container with the male for at least two weeks, and likely longer. They seemed bonded, always cuddling, but they did not have much choice-- their house was so small. What is the likelihood she is pregnant? I've familiarized myself with the science, and am looking for answers more from experience. For now, I have been treating her as though she is: alfalfa hay, gentle handlng, vitamin c, ect. Just got a new scale yesterday for regular weighing.

(More context: Henrietta is 1008 g as of yesterday. She is not obviously pear shaped, but she has firm love handles on an otherwise thin frame.)

So, what's your guess on chances of pregnancy? Alas, the only sure way to know will come with time, but I welcome yoir speculation.

Thanks!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she was in with the male for at least 2 weeks the chances she is pregnant are high. It would be unlikely for her not to be pregnant because she would certainly had at least one heat cycle while in with the male, the chances he didn't get her successfully is low.

You are doing the right thing in acting as though she is pregnant until it is proven otherwise.

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
20191108_111727.jpg
20191108_112035.jpg

Here's a picture of her belly, and another picture of her little face because she is just so darn pretty :D

I actually just noticed from these pics that her left side seems a bit more bulbous than her right. If she is pregnant, would carrying more weight on one side be considered normal?

And on another note, assuming she is pregnant, how do i make sure she is eating enough? Like I said, she is eating hay/drinking water very sparingly, and I want to make sure she is getting proper nutrition. What can I do to get her to eat?

I fear she may have only gotten pellets at the pet store, so hay might be a newer concept, but then again, she's not really eating those, either.

Thanks for your help :)

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Soecara, Bpatters, Candalala, Kelsie: thanks for the help and advice! I will keep you all posted, and eagerly await any more input this lovely community has. :D :D

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know nothing about pregnant, female piggies.

But I DO know an adorable face when I see one!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm with Kelsie and Guinea Pig Papa--- I know nothing to help, but she's so darn pretty, indeed! All the best wishes :)

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
20191110_133518.jpg

Here she is today :love:

Weight:
11/7/19: 1003g
11/8/19: 1009g
11/9/19: 1013g

(I have not yet weighed her today.) It's limited info, but we've got an upwards trend! However, I remain worried. She refuses to eat hay and pellets. I've bought fresh, I've bought new kinds, I've switched it out daily, even buried lettuce in it-- still nothing.

Am i missing something? Should i leave her alone, and try to reduce stress? Or, just take her to the vet? She needs to eat, especially if she's got babies growing in there.

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
She is 1026g as of today!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
First of all, thank you for taking her in. If she had a white blaze down her nose, she would look like my Lacey's twin!

Since you have piggy experience, I'm sure you provided some places for her to hide until she settles in. If you leave some hay in a hidey, she might want to eat more since she will feel safer. I would also try herbs such as cilantro or parsley to get her interested. It seems they like leaves that are kind of ruffly and maybe that would get her started eating better. Of course, the easiest way to tell if she is eating is by how much you have to clean up after her. Hopefully you're seeing poops, so she is eating something.

If she and the male were together for around 2 weeks, I don't think she would be showing too much just yet. She has a pear shape like an adult so in my opinion either she is older than 6 months, or she was with the male longer than 2 weeks and is actually several weeks pregnant.

I would monitor her weight and eating habits for a few more days and see if you can determine that she is eating enough. Then I think a vet visit would be in order to check for pregnancy and get an opinion on her age and general health.

Good luck to you and Henrietta, and please keep us posted!

SweetPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Will do! As of right now, her cage is more hay than it is bedding :D, so she can't escape it. Everywhere that is sheltered is chocked full of timothy, so hopefully it'll catch on sooner or later. And I will definitely try the parsley and cilantro idea!!

On a similiar note, Miss Henri seems to have realized she enjoys alfalfa. The little box filled with it that I gave her was empty as of this morning, and when I refilled it, she attacked the thing like she was starving! I'll mix some Timothy hay in with it next time she empties it.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so glad she is eating! Then she must be feeling okay, her digestion is working, and her teeth aren’t giving her trouble. Hopefully she will get curious about the other foods and start eating a variety of hay and veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.