Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Odds of Pregnancy?

Hello!

While I am not new to guinea pigs, I just recently took in my first ever girl piggie! I have many reasons to suspect pregnancy, but I am woefully inexperienced in this area and predisposed to self-doubt, so I'm unsure.

Quick preface-- she is a pet store piggie (yes, I know, not ideal, but let me explain.) This pet store is small-town and fish based, by which I mean unsuited to other pets, and Henrietta and her pal were squeezed in a dirty, square foot box without food available. The store evidently knew nothing about guinea pigs, and didn't seem to care much. It was horrible. When i sexed them, i discovered yet another unethical practice-- Henrietta's pal was a boy. I hated the idea of a probably pregnant girly stuck in those conditions, and worse, babies being born in that filth.

I know, I know, you should always rescue first. But I took her in anyways. And, of course immediately upon getting her, I began to doubt myself. What if she isn't even pregnant? Did I overreact?

I have had Henrietta for a week now. She is supposedly 6 mo, and if so is very large for her age. She's like a little furry mini van. She is not eating much and is quite skittish, but I have no way to tell if this means anything more than regular "I am a new piggie and am not sure about this whole deal yet" behavior.

I know she was in the container with the male for at least two weeks, and likely longer. They seemed bonded, always cuddling, but they did not have much choice-- their house was so small. What is the likelihood she is pregnant? I've familiarized myself with the science, and am looking for answers more from experience. For now, I have been treating her as though she is: alfalfa hay, gentle handlng, vitamin c, ect. Just got a new scale yesterday for regular weighing.

(More context: Henrietta is 1008 g as of yesterday. She is not obviously pear shaped, but she has firm love handles on an otherwise thin frame.)

So, what's your guess on chances of pregnancy? Alas, the only sure way to know will come with time, but I welcome yoir speculation.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

Re: Odds of Pregnancy?

If she was in with the male for at least 2 weeks the chances she is pregnant are high. It would be unlikely for her not to be pregnant because she would certainly had at least one heat cycle while in with the male, the chances he didn't get her successfully is low.

You are doing the right thing in acting as though she is pregnant until it is proven otherwise.

3. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191108_111727.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	86430

Name:	20191108_112035.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	86431

Here's a picture of her belly, and another picture of her little face because she is just so darn pretty

I actually just noticed from these pics that her left side seems a bit more bulbous than her right. If she is pregnant, would carrying more weight on one side be considered normal?

And on another note, assuming she is pregnant, how do i make sure she is eating enough? Like I said, she is eating hay/drinking water very sparingly, and I want to make sure she is getting proper nutrition. What can I do to get her to eat?

I fear she may have only gotten pellets at the pet store, so hay might be a newer concept, but then again, she's not really eating those, either.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

She is so pretty!
    If her left side is larger she might be having an odd number of babies. It's always hard to tell pregnancy through pictures though.

Guinea pigs will eat as they need to do she will intake as she needs. Make sure she always has hay and pellets available. And alfalfa hay is a good treat for her for sone extra calcium.

8. "Thank you, Candalalala, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    677 Rec'd/585 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

I'm going to offer my opinion but please don't put too much credence to it because I've never had a pregnant piggy. From the picture you posted, your piggy does look pregnant. I'm only saying that because I've seen other pregnant piggy pictures and they've looked the same as your girl. I have seen them where they seem to be carrying more weight on one side than the other.

I'm sure that others will soon come to this post and be able to offer you more advice regarding nutrition and such. I just wanted to say that your new little girl is such a beauty. She has the sweetest face. Thank you so much for taking her into your home.

10. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Soecara, Bpatters, Candalala, Kelsie: thanks for the help and advice! I will keep you all posted, and eagerly await any more input this lovely community has.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

I know nothing about pregnant, female piggies.

But I DO know an adorable face when I see one!

13. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I'm with Kelsie and Guinea Pig Papa--- I know nothing to help, but she's so darn pretty, indeed! All the best wishes

15. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Name:	20191110_133518.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	86437

Here she is today

Weight:
    11/7/19: 1003g
    11/8/19: 1009g
    11/9/19: 1013g

(I have not yet weighed her today.) It's limited info, but we've got an upwards trend! However, I remain worried. She refuses to eat hay and pellets. I've bought fresh, I've bought new kinds, I've switched it out daily, even buried lettuce in it-- still nothing.

Am i missing something? Should i leave her alone, and try to reduce stress? Or, just take her to the vet? She needs to eat, especially if she's got babies growing in there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She is 1026g as of today!

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

First of all, thank you for taking her in. If she had a white blaze down her nose, she would look like my Lacey's twin!

Since you have piggy experience, I'm sure you provided some places for her to hide until she settles in. If you leave some hay in a hidey, she might want to eat more since she will feel safer. I would also try herbs such as cilantro or parsley to get her interested. It seems they like leaves that are kind of ruffly and maybe that would get her started eating better. Of course, the easiest way to tell if she is eating is by how much you have to clean up after her. Hopefully you're seeing poops, so she is eating something.

If she and the male were together for around 2 weeks, I don't think she would be showing too much just yet. She has a pear shape like an adult so in my opinion either she is older than 6 months, or she was with the male longer than 2 weeks and is actually several weeks pregnant.

I would monitor her weight and eating habits for a few more days and see if you can determine that she is eating enough. Then I think a vet visit would be in order to check for pregnancy and get an opinion on her age and general health.

Good luck to you and Henrietta, and please keep us posted!

19. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Will do! As of right now, her cage is more hay than it is bedding , so she can't escape it. Everywhere that is sheltered is chocked full of timothy, so hopefully it'll catch on sooner or later. And I will definitely try the parsley and cilantro idea!!

On a similiar note, Miss Henri seems to have realized she enjoys alfalfa. The little box filled with it that I gave her was empty as of this morning, and when I refilled it, she attacked the thing like she was starving! I'll mix some Timothy hay in with it next time she empties it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I’m so glad she is eating! Then she must be feeling okay, her digestion is working, and her teeth aren’t giving her trouble. Hopefully she will get curious about the other foods and start eating a variety of hay and veggies.

22. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List