Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Ginger and Checkers close call

I decided to put this in the About discussion thread rather than the Medical thread as the situation has been resolved so it is not still active, but thought the info is still relevant. I also figured Iíd let Ginger and Checkers tell their own story and thought some may question their tech savvy, so may not be appropriate for the medical thread. So without further ado here is Ginger and Checkers take on their close call.

Hi, Iím Checkers, I am an American tortoise shell piggy as is my sister Ginger. We have been at our forever home for about 11 months now. Prior to that we were in a bit of an icky place where these weird bipedals looked at us through glass but would not give us food or play with us. But I digress.

It all started Friday night when one of our older grumpier bipedals asked the younger biped (who is our primary care taker) when was the last time we had floor time. My sister and I thought this was a great question as we could not remember the last time we had floor time.( In reality it was only a few days, but hey we are piggys we donít do time) We love getting out of our cage and seeing how much trouble we can get into. On the floor if we look hard enough we can find the place where the crinkly containers of yummy stuff to eat is kept. If we are real careful we can fill our bellies before the bipeds notice. So any way the two younger bipeds started setting up stuff to keep us in an area of their choice. Silly humans, you canít keep a hungry piggy confined.

Or so they will soon find out. Anyway everything was set up and the two younger bipeds opened our cage so we could get out and explore. Yippee! We love to be able to do zoomies and get into all sort of stuff. So me and Ginger where zooming around popcorning and just generally having a good time and entertaining our humans. Then we saw it. Ginger and I stopped dead in our tracks. It was beautiful, it was green and large and oh so yummy looking we knew we had to eat it. But drats, those annoying humans had it behind a barrier where we were not supposed to go. Did I say you canít keep a hungry piggy confined? We needed a plan. So my sister and I put our heads together and devised a plan to get to the promised land. She would zoom around popcorning and entertain and distract the humans while I worked on the barrier. So Ginger was doing her thing and I went to find a way through the barrier. I have to give it to those humans, they thought of everything. Everywhere I went the barrier was up and in my way. Well, never underestimate the resourcefulness of a hungry piggy. Hereís a news flash, we are always hungry.

Well after a bit of searching I found it. A part of the barrier I could get my nose under and use a piggys most powerful tool, the nose flip. I did it; I was through! I ran to the big beautiful green thing and started munching, oh man was it good and so worth it. Well I could not forget my sister so we switched places and I ran around and she moseyed on over to the barrier breech and got a chance to munch. Then we switched places again and I was so excited I forgot to go around the back and eat and was happily munching away on a big beautiful leaf that was just hanging there in front saying eat me! Well this is where things started to happen all at once. One of the younger bipedal humans started yelling for the older one. I could not understand what all the shouting was about. It was saying Dad; Checkers is eating the leaf. Well of course silly human thatís what us piggyís do. It then came over and grabbed me, I was so involved in eating the leaf, so thatís what they are called, leaf. I did not see the human until it had me in its hands! I did not know they could move that fast. I should have known that any eyeís front biped were faster than they seemed.

Anyway he was cradling me and asking the older one if it was poisonous? Poisonous? Whatís that? Sounds bad. Our primary care taker came over after hearing all this and grabbed me and my sister and was holding both of us. She was saying something to the older one that I could not make out. Anyway he sat in front of the light box and started hitting little things that clicked with his funny shaped paws. After a while he said yes, it is. Yes it is what? Whatever it was it must not be good because it caused my primary human to start leaking profusely out of her vision holes. I heard something like poisonous, thereís that word again, what does it mean? And could be deadly, that just did not sound good. Then I heard poison control center whatever that is. My sister and I where soon to find out. So the older human took the talking little box and punched this number into it; 1-888-426-4435 ( ASPCA's animal poison control number) A nice sounding voice came on and said poison control center; How may I help you? Thereís that word again, something is definitely not right. I heard something about Peace Lily and eating. Then the human pointed the little talking device at our beautiful green promised land and several flashes happened. Including one at the leaf I did not get a chance to finish. Hey humans; Iím a starving piggy, let me back at it. Any way I heard something like a Peace Lily is not a true lily so should be ok but keep any eye on them for 24 hours. Whatís an hour? The voice went on they could get an upset tummy, if they show any signs of drooling or pain get them to a vet. A what? I donít like the sound of that. Well, whatever the little talking box was saying it must have been good because my primary stopped leaking. Good thing too I was starting to get really wet. So as it turns out there was a reason for the barrier and the promised land was not so promised after all. Looks like my sister and I cannot eat everything green and beautiful, even if it looks yummy. So I guess my humans learned their lesson. Never underestimate a hungry piggy and keep us away from yummy looking thingís that can kill us.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

Re: Ginger and Checkers close call

You have some imagination! Thanks for the very entertaining post.

I trust that your piggies are truly o.k.? Unfortunately, there are several house plants that are poisonous to cavies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

I agree with @spy9doc that you have a way of telling a story that made me feel as if I were there. Very creative writing. I'm sure the situation was quite frightening though. I'm very happy that everything turned out in such a positive way.

It sounds like you have two little piggies that are going to be keeping you on your toes. I have a Ginger too, although she doesn't have quite the adventurous spirit of your girl.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Know that youíre not alone, I had to call animal poison control once after Ferb ate a tulip leaf. Apparently if he had eaten the bulb or flower it would have been bad. He was okay after eating the tulip leaf (which still doesnít mean anyone should ever feed tulip leaves to their guinea pig).

Iím really glad your fur babies are okay!

User Tag List