Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pig Sitting Conundrum!

jewelgirl94

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some advice.

This December my family and I are going to be gone on and off over a period of about three weeks (for sure from the 13th to the 17th, and then a few days between the 26th and the New Year I'm not exactly sure on exact dates) and I'm not sure what I should do with my three girls while we're away. The friend I've asked before had a baby recently, and I feel like it would be a huge hassle for her to come over every day with him so I'd like to keep her as my last resort. I've got friends in the next town over that have offered to watch them at their place (they're about 20 minutes away, so it would be really inconvenient for them to come over every day). My other option is to try and find a pet sitter online.

Obviously I'd rather my friends took them then have to pay a pet sitter, I'm just worried that the new environment and traveling back and forth will stress them out too much.

jewelgirl94

Cavy Slave
I feel like my friends are more likely to follow my directions and ask questions if they're unsure of things. Plus they know how much I love my babies and they would want to do their best to take care of them, and his cousin is also a piggy mom and lives a few minutes away from them if they need help and can't reach me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I vote for the friends. Travel doesn't hurt pigs.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I agree that having the pigs stay with your friends sounds like the best option.

A 20-minute drive is nothing. I adopted 2 of the 4 pigs I've owned in the past from Knoxville, a 2-hour drive from where I live. Both times I brought Tribble with me to meet the pigs at the rescue so he could choose his new cagemate. Everybody did fabulously on the drive there and back.

As for the change in environment: if you can get your pigs accustomed to the setup they'll be staying in while they're at your friend's house, they should be a lot more comfortable when the time comes for them to be dropped off. I brought my pigs with me a few times when I went to spend a few days at my parent's place over the holidays. I used all the same bedding, hides, toys, etc that the pigs always used, so for them, it must have felt like they were still in their safe, familiar territory. Nobody showed any signs of stress on these trips.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I also vote for your pigs to stay at your friend's place. Periodically I take my piggies to work and it is 1.5 - 2 hours by public transit each way. I have a temporary cage set up at the office and I don't notice any difference in their behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.