Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hay Question

Everyday before I leave for work I fill the hay bin. Everyday when I come home from work itís all emptied out and they act like they are starving to death. So I fill it again and by morning same thing.

Is this normal? How do I stop wasting so much hay?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    559 Rec'd/463 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Hay Question

Short answer? You don't.

I stopped using a hay rack long ago. My boys would do the same thing. My current boy(s) use their hay as shelter, as a toy, and as food. I just pile it in a corner of their cage and change it daily.

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

It's very normal. Hay is a big part of their diet. I'd say ditch the hay rack. I just use a cat litter box and fill it with hay it usually last the whole day and helps keep the cage a bit more tidy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

I would also advise ditching the hay rack. i had a hay rack for years and my cavies never consumed enough hay! I finally just gave up on it and adopted the system I use today.

I have a kitten litter box that has a layer of Petco SoPhresh Pellet Litter (or SoPhresh crumbled litter) over which I place a generous layer of hay. My cavies love being able to do two things at once and even often sleep in the litter box. I have found this litter to be economical and very good at suppressing odor.

The only issue with this setup is that the hay doesn't permit the poops to fall through to the litter and you need to be conscientious about removing them, especially if your cavies like to also sleep in the litter box.

Thanks
    Thanks
    63 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Like everyone said; very very normal. Hay is super important for any guinea pig diet, and piggies are supposed to eat lots and lots and lots of it!

My piggies have a hay rack and and a hay pile. They still eat out of the rack on and off, but they LOVE their hay pile! They burrow in it, sleep in it, bulldoze it into a nest, and of course eat it I sort of corral the hay with their woodblock toys to help contain it, and gather it back up in a pile twice a day.

User Tag List