Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions What is going on with my piggie's butt?

Gosag

Cavy Gazer
He isnt in pain or anything, but what is this?

Attachments

20191023_025501.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It looks like a cyst or abscess or tumor, possibly originating from the grease gland. It looks more likely to be an abscess or cyst to me that is starting to rupture open. A vet is in order for this, they will likely either lance it open and clean it out if it is an abscess or cyst, or surgically remove it if they think that is at all possible. If they do lance it you will need to flush it at least twice daily with a sterile saline or diluted antiseptic solution as you will need to keep it open so it can heal from the inside out to prevent it reoccurring.

You will want an exotic vet with experience treating guinea pigs, small animal vets are not trained in the medical care of guinea pigs and can not only be a waste of money but could do more harm then good in this kind of situation.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION]. Looks like an infected grease gland to me, or a ruptured sebaceous cyst. Please see an exotic vet as soon as you can get there -- that needs to be taken care of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.