Thread: My guinea pigs seem to have gotten skinny?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

My guinea pigs seem to have gotten skinny?

Hello, I have two boars, both about 2,5 years old and today while clipping their nails I noticed that I can feel their hip bones and spine unusually much. I weighed them and one is 600g and the other is 800g. As I understand it, that is not standard male guinea pig weight. I gave them a few syringes of critical care, and I'll be monitoring their weight daily, but I just wonder what do you guys think about this? Im not super worried because they're just as active as ever, they eat and drink well, their poop is fine, I examined them throughly and except the weight, everything seems completely fine, but I just don't understand why they'd get skinnier - is this normal? I dont think there is an issue with fighting about food but just to be sure, I will feed them separately from now on. Also does anyone have any advice on how to get the boys to put on some weight? I'll be supplying them with critical care and extra veggies when I feed them, but I'm wondering if you guys have any other tips. Perhaps alfalfa hay/pellets? I don't want to overdo it though.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Re: My guinea pigs seem to have gotten skinny?

One suggestion that sometimes works is to mix some rolled oats in with their pellets. Cavies seem to like them and they are very nutritious.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

I wouldn't give them alfalfa. Too high in calcium, and they'll be getting extra calcium in the CC anyway.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If your guinea pigs receive a lot of vegetables their teeth grow...Maybe check their teeth at the vet

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elialitem View Post
    If your guinea pigs receive a lot of vegetables their teeth grow...Maybe check their teeth at the vet
    Their teeth always grow no matter what and that is why they need hay to keep them down. But checking their teeth is not a bad idea! If they are overgrown or chipped they may not be eating as well.

User Tag List