Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Pair of females to be boarded separately while I am away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I was away for 2 weeks and I had to leave my babies on the guinea pig shelter for boarding.

1) My submissive Oktavia lost 8.4% of her weight and she was clearly psychologically affected: she screams if the dominant Altaria goes nearby and she feels really stressed. Now they sleep in separate areas of their 2 by 6 home cage. When I first got them 5 months ago, Oktavia was a passive dominant, but after a while their roles inverted and Altaria was more aggressive. I sometimes even had to split the cage.
With time, they became closer and Altaria the dominant loved being with Oktavia and would want to sleep next to her. Now Oktavia the submissive cannot tolerate be around her, so every time Altaria the dominant is close, Oktavia flees.

2) Altaria the dominant barely lost weight during these two weeks.

I may have to go abroad for a couple of weeks on December. So I am thinking about asking the shelter to give me two cages instead of one because I am afraid my submissive Oktavia may be further traumatized.

In their current cage, there's food and hay everywhere, and places to sleep, etc. But in the shelter there's none of that and the cage is small. They also use pigloos.

What should I do? Ask them to remove any pigloos? Ask them to board them separately? ask them to give them two bowls of food?
I just want my babies to be healthy and not traumatized.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've already got this topic going on another thread. I'm going to close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.