Thread: Worried about adopting male guinea pig

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Worried about adopting male guinea pig

About a year ago, I had two male guinea pigs in the same cage together. They each had the separate items inside the cage. But the grouchy one would still pick on my other piggy. Eventually, they got into a fight and my non-grouchy guinea pig had to have a $600 emergency surgery. I had to give up the grouchy guinea pig due to my parents being furious that I put two males in a cage together in the first place. I bought my grouchy guinea pig from the pet store, so I just think he wasn't socialized enough to begin with. Anyways, I want to adopt a friend for the guinea pig I still have. He's very sweet and deserves the company of another guinea pig. I want to adopt a male to avoid him from having to undergo another surgery. The only thing is my parents won't allow me because they believe males can't be together. What should I tell them to convince them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    495 Rec'd/417 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

Re: Worried about adopting male guinea pig

Perhaps get in contact with rescues around you. Most will do meet and greets to find the best companion for your existing guinea pig, and perhaps your parents may be more open to the idea if it comes from an experienced guinea pig rescue. It is unlikely but possible a rescue may even have a spayed female up for adoption.

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Re: Worried about adopting male guinea pig

Also make sure you have a large enough cage! Another male might work but they need at least 13 square feet of space to be happy in.
    A spayed female with a male works very well. But also two males in the right conditions might work well.

User Tag List