Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Confusing Rescue rules?

arcangel

Cavy Slave
The guinea pig rescue i plan to to adopt my new piggies tomorrow from have very strict and somewhat different views examples that i need help on.
1. NO Fruit. they state fruit is a poor choice because it is high levels of suger and cause a deadly imbalance of gut bacteria and leads to upset tummy's and it can cause mouth sores. So no carrots apple cucumbers etc etc
2. Way less veggies they recommend 1/4 of cup of veggies with way more hay. they only say to use leafy greens and if more then that it will cause diarrhea or gas.
3. Vitamin c Supplement no matter what I assume this is because they don't really feed veggies i was planning on a vitamin c sup anyways but i thought bell pepper would be good but they recommend syringe feeding or oxbow cookies more saying the pepper can cause the issues in number 2.
4. They Require all females Spayed it is a newer rule all the females are spayed and healed up from surgery before they leave the rescue.(they are not up for adoption till after this) they say it is for the long term health of the piggie and makes it easier to get pairs of male and females.

The rescue is the only guinea pig rescue unless i wanna drive 4 in half hours away which i don't and anything but these 4 statements seem great to me. They love and care for all their rescues but i feel some of the information is either off to me or just way different then how i remember. Ill be asking them all these questions but i wanted to hear your guys thoughts as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
1) Severely limiting fruit is a good idea -- only a bit now and then for a treat. Obviously, if they get that little of it, getting none is not going to make much difference.

2) Hay is by far the most important thing in a pig's diet, and as far as I know, there's no research on how many veggies they should have. Mine always got about a cup of veggies, and most lived to be over six, one to eight and a half.

3) Mine never had any issues with bell pepper. I only gave supplemental vitamin C if they were ill, or had gotten to the senior stage when they didn't process foods as well and a C supplement helped with hair, coat, and appetite.

4) I think it's fine that they spay the females. No accidental pregnancies that way.

arcangel

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the quick reply's it is interesting to see how far or advance guinea pig care has gotten. i think ill follow a mix of their rules and this sites rules a happy mid ground.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.