Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Special male needs better home.

So I am new to piggies and have posted a few times about my pigs. I have a male named Norbit, who needs a new home. Heís just not happy with us. He constantly bites anyone who holds him, we all have marks. Iím doing something wrong with him but I donít know what, because my other two are the direct opposite of him. He is separated because he was bitting on both the other boys especially if they tried to play. My white boy has wounds because heís constantly getting bullied. So I separated Norbit from them but they share a wall so he is close and not so alone. I just donít know what to do. He needs a new home with someone who knows what they are doing and have more understanding of whatís going on. Trust that this pains me. Heís young, about 4 months old.

Iím in Pa, Lancaster. If anyone knows someone. My only other step is a rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Re: Special male needs better home.

It's very possible that Norbit has mites. They cause a piggie to be painful and that will make the piggie bite whenever they are touched. The fact that he is biting the other piggies when they try to play is also a sign of mites. Norbit feels uncomfortable and he is biting out of pain not out of meanness.

He can be treated with Ivermectin. There are several posts here on the forum about how to dose the Ivermectin and where to find it. If you want to try that before rehoming him I think you will find that once he feels better he will be a different piggie.

No matter what you choose, I wish you good luck.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hmmm vet didnít see any when I had them there a couple weeks back. Iíll make another appt and do a double check. Just odd that heís such a jerk face and the other two arenít.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

The vet can't see mites. They're microscopic, and burrow under the skin. If a pig is scratching and is hard to get along with, that's sufficient reason to treat for mites.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Heís not scratching, heís just a jerk.

Thanks
    Thanks
    558 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Your problem isn't Norbit, per se. Your problem is you have THREE male pigs. Rehoming Norbit IS an option if you want to, but if you'd like to keep him you can always have two separate cages, and adopt ONE more pig to be with Norbit.

I'm not sure about the other two, but if they're all new they're all about the same age. ALL just going into puberty and it sounds like Norbit is the boss.

A trio of male pigs rarely ever works out. As I said rehoming is an option, or you can keep him with another boy in a separate cage.

User Tag List