Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts I think my pig has ovarian cysts - how long to wait for vet appt

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old Eva has a vet appointment next Friday with our exotic vet because of some crusty/discolored/swollen nipples and the fact she has some dry skin on her back that we thought might be mites/lice but after multiple treatments, hasn’t resolved itself. I was coming her hair today (she’s a silkie) and noticed that she is loosing large patches of hair on her side which seemed pretty sudden. She’s still eating well and hasn’t lost any weight. Based on the symptoms and pictures at Guinea Lynx, I think she may have ovarian cysts or ovarian cancer.

Should I wait over a week for her vet appt or see if I can get something sooner (maybe emergency same day visit which my vet does)? I worry if it is a cyst, it could burst while waiting my I don’t want to overreact either.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd ask if there's any way to see her earlier, but I don't know that an emergency appointment is necessary. Pigs can live with pretty large cysts, and they don't necessarily grow quickly. However, you're the one with the pig in front of you, and you should do what you think best.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I'd get her in sooner. You see the symptoms so it's not something that's likely to resolve on it's own.

My girl has like 8 mm cyst on each side and no symptoms. I found an exotic vet, not my regular one, who averages a gp spay a month. It's a difficult surgery so you don't want someone who hasn't done many. Mine admitted to doing 2.
I'd just call explain the situation and your worries and see if they'll fit you in. If they say emergency spot for more money then you'll have to decide. GL

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
Just to give everyone an update, she did have cysts. The vet was able to get into surgery the next day and she great now - all her hair is back and it all looks good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.